Re: Interesting Naruto fic rec.

  • jessara40k
    Message 1 of 45 , Nov 1, 2008
      If the criticism was that sort then I'd agree, but the criticism he
      objected too was more saying that the reviewers felt various
      characters were reacting out of character given that Naruto had
      logically changed over the course of the resets, (eg Sarutobi taking
      Garra's murder of three of his ninjas the same way he'd react to one
      of Naruto's pranks) The vast majority of the reviews were very
      positive, and almost all the critical reviews were based on the fact
      that he bashes the rest of Team 7 to an almost sickening extent.

      --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Schocke"
      <cladran@...> wrote:

      > It all depends on the tone. The hordes of people telling me that I
      was an
      > idiot because "there was no way in hell Naruto can face Gaara
      without the
      > Toad Summons" were pretty damn obnoxious. Did they honestly think I
      was
      > about to write myself into a corner? The dismissive tone of the
      reviews says
      > yes.
      >

      > I've had whole rafts of people send me complaints who clearly
      didn't bother
      > considering what "AU" could possibly mean. Bob and Alyx call them
      > "canon-Nazis". I adhere to canon fairly well - except where it's
      > specifically altered by the AU. After almost half a million words,
      people
      > should realize this and at least try to give me the benefit of the
      doubt.

      > I've had people tell me that I was sloppy on my research when I
      referred to
      > Slughorn as "Professor Emeritus Slughorn" because his real first
      name is
      > Horace. (Emeritus is a title.)
      >

      > I've had a reviewer tell me Ginny's real name is Virginia, not
      Ginevra - and
      > even insist they were right when I responded to the review. No, I'm
      not
      > kidding.
      >

      > There are a lot of people out there who are so incredibly desperate
      to point
      > out flaws in order to make themselves feel smart that they refuse
      to perform
      > even the most rudimentary due diligence. It's insulting and wastes
      the
      > author's time. (I'm not going to complain about the more obscure or
      esoteric
      > things, but we're talking basic reading comprehension here, people.)
      >

      > That's a far damn cry from "constructive criticism" if you ask me.
      So I can
      > empathize with a desire to tell such people to take a hike.
      >

      > -Matthew Schocke
      >
      > Proprietor of Viridian Dreams
      >
      > "Wouldn't it be cool if."
      >
      > Blog <http://www.viridiandreams.net/> Forum
      > <http://www.viridiandreams.net/forum>

    • Tom Mathews
      Message 45 of 45 , Nov 3, 2008
        <cladran@...> wrote:

        > It all depends on the tone. The hordes of people telling me that I
        was an
        > idiot because "there was no way in hell Naruto can face Gaara
        without the
        > Toad Summons" were pretty damn obnoxious. Did they honestly think I
        was
        > about to write myself into a corner? The dismissive tone of the
        reviews says
        > yes.
        That is true, but he was calmly criticized on the Anime Addventure on
        the comments board and went off on one of his insanity trip once
        more. I think it was Kestral who criticized him.

        People were tired of seeing the same thing over and over again and
        said so. You could see it in the tone of the writing that they
        weren't being nasty but resigned and tired.

        > I've had whole rafts of people send me complaints who clearly
        didn't bother
        > considering what "AU" could possibly mean. Bob and Alyx call them
        > "canon-Nazis". I adhere to canon fairly well - except where it's
        > specifically altered by the AU. After almost half a million words,
        people
        > should realize this and at least try to give me the benefit of the
        doubt.

        I have enocuntered the same thing at times, and I can ignore it for
        the most part. KotF and Ukyo fanboys

        > I've had people tell me that I was sloppy on my research when I
        referred to
        > Slughorn as "Professor Emeritus Slughorn" because his real first
        name is
        > Horace. (Emeritus is a title.)
        Eh? Not all that important.

        > I've had a reviewer tell me Ginny's real name is Virginia, not
        Ginevra - and
        > even insist they were right when I responded to the review. No, I'm
        not
        > kidding.
        I always thought it was Guinevere until it was confirmed in book
        canon, due to all the royal refrences in the Weasly family

        > There are a lot of people out there who are so incredibly desperate
        to point
        > out flaws in order to make themselves feel smart that they refuse
        to perform
        > even the most rudimentary due diligence. It's insulting and wastes
        the
        > author's time. (I'm not going to complain about the more obscure or
        esoteric
        > things, but we're talking basic reading comprehension here, people.)
        That's true for the most part, but a lot of Anime Addventure & FFML
        authors have noted Lionherat's foibles and the fact that even the
        mildest constructive criticism sends him over the edge and he writes
        to anger those who dared question his judgement. Lionheart has even
        admitted as much.

        > That's a far damn cry from "constructive criticism" if you ask me.
        So I can
        > empathize with a desire to tell such people to take a hike.
        I understand what you are saying and agree with you for the most part.