Naruto Summons and Elements

  • Tom Mathews
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
      I was going through a book I own and came across some information.
      Myths of China & Japan ISBN 0-517-10163-7

      The Great Polar Bear(The constellation that has the North Star)
      controls five elements that swing around it.

      Water Fire Wood Metal Earth

      Each of theese elements has an animal assigned to it.

      The White Tiger of the West has the element of Metal(along with Wind)

      The Blue(or Green) Dragon of the East is usually Water

      The Red Bird of the South and the Black Tortise of the North I'm not
      sure of. (probably fire and earth respectively)

      The White Tiger is assoicated also with woods & mountains. Tigers are
      also known to be the enemies of dragons.

      Makes me wonder if Matt is going to have Naruto gain a Tiger summon to
      replace the lost Toad summon. There are tigers in the Forest of Death.
    • croaker@rochester.rr.com
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
        Yes, those also connect to the "Four Gods" of classical asian astrology.

        The Bird is Suzaku, the Dragon is Seiryo, the Tiger is Byakko, and I forget the last.

        Hm. Gai summons Tortoises....

        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 1, 2008
          --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, <croaker@...> wrote:

          > Yes, those also connect to the "Four Gods" of classical asian astrology.
          >
          > The Bird is Suzaku, the Dragon is Seiryo, the Tiger is Byakko, and I
          forget the last.

          > Hm. Gai summons Tortoises....

          I went to wikipedia and got the names and elements:

          Byakko the White Tiger of the West(Autum)-Metal(Gold)
          Gembu the Black Tortise of the North(Winter)-Water
          Suzaku the Vermillion Bird of the South(Summer)-Fire
          Seiryu the Azure Dragon of the East(Spring)-Wood
          Ouryu (Huang Long) the Yellow Dragon of the Center-Earth

          Looks like I was wromng about the tortise and dragon's elemental
          affinities, but I was right about the bird.

          Yes. The element Metal is sometimes called Gold.
        • Vortex35@aol.com
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 2, 2008
            Genbu the Turtle... I highly reccomend going back and watching your Fushugi Yugi.

              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
                --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, Vortex35@... wrote:

                > Genbu the Turtle... I highly reccomend going back and watching your
                Fushugi Yugi.

                > The Bird is Suzaku, the Dragon is Seiryo, the Tiger is Byakko, and I
                forget the last.

                Mm. I have never seen Fushugi Yugi, so I wouldn't know beyond what I
                can find in the books I have on hand or on wikipedia.

                Most people don't know what regular polygon goes for which element, so
                me having a lack of knowledge on something in a foreign culture is no
                big deal. If you are curious:

                Those of you who play Dungeons and Drgaons:

                the 4-sided, the 6-sided, the 8-sided, the 20-sided, the 12-sided.

                There is a bunch of myths and legends in Greek culture about the
                12-sideded or Dodecahedron. Oh yes, the color of magic(spirit) is green.
              • Vortex35@aol.com
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 3, 2008
                  Cute shojou anime, give it a chance.

                  In a message dated 10/3/2008 11:25:55 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, dangaioh@... writes:
                  Mm. I have never seen Fushugi Yugi, so I wouldn't know beyond what I
                  can find in the books I have on hand or on wikipedia.

                  New MapQuest Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News & more. Try it out!
                • nielingage
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                    --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mathews" <dangaioh@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Oh yes, the color of magic(spirit) is green.

                    I thought it was purple...but as i haven't researched it myself how
                    sure could I be?
                  • nielingage
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                      --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, Vortex35@... wrote:

                      > Cute shojou anime, give it a chance.

                      I've seen roughly half of it so far. The dub, as it happens, which is
                      so freaking funny sometimes that I fell out of my chair laughing once
                      when the main character said something about them having reached the
                      limits allowed by the censors, therefore breaking the fourth wall.
                    • Tommy King
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                        I thought the colour of magic was octarine!

                        Tommy

                        British by birth, Scottish by the Grace of God

                        Somewhere in the world, two aardvarks are humping.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                          --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, "nielingage" <nielingage@...>
                          wrote:

                          > --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Mathews" <dangaioh@>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Oh yes, the color of magic(spirit) is green.
                          > >

                          > I thought it was purple...but as i haven't researched it myself how
                          > sure could I be?

                          Might be in some cultures. The one I was thinking of went like this:

                          White: Air
                          Red: Fire
                          Blue: Water
                          Black: Earth
                          Green: Magic/Life
                        • Vortex35@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                            ZOMG!!! *facefaults*  I'll admit I watched the dub... right till Chichiri shows up, no da!  And yes trust me his japanese "no da" is much better than the english "ya know."  And trust me you're probably less than half way through.  There's 2 full seasons (box setted as Suzaku and Seiryu) as well as the first OAV (with Genbu on the cover) followed by Eikoden (a later OAV with a green themed cover with a red phoenix, though it should have been themed for Byakko.)  Over all roughly over 200 episodes.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Oct 7, 2008
                              See I've always seen is as:
                              Air: White
                              Water: Blue