Re: This is probably a stupid question but...

  • pyrodaemon87
    Message 1 of 19 , May 31, 2007
      This is just a quick question while I'm reading but what does "teme" I
      believe, you've used it after...Sasuke? a few times and since Naruto
      doesn't really like him I'm taking it as a bad thing but I'd really
      like to know if that's right.

      Thanks again.

      --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew Schocke"
      <cladran@...> wrote:

      > Well, we don't need to go 'whole hog' on the concept. As far as they
      seem to
      > be perpetuated in anime (and Team 8)
      >

      > * -sama = indicative of extreme respect, think branch house member
      > talking to Hiashi, or Shinobi talking to Hokage
      >

      > * -san = indicative of respect, or recognition of accomplishment.
      > Think Shibi meeting Naruto in public and wishing to make an
      impression on
      > braindead bystanders.
      >

      > * -kun = familiar, male-only, used for younger male relatives or male
      > the speaker feels particularly close to
      >

      > * -chan = familiar, female-only, used for younger female relatives or
      > a female the speaker feels particularly close to
      >

      > And YES, I am drastically oversimplifying. Go hit wikipedia if you
      want all
      > the gory details.
      >

      > -Matthew Schocke
      >
      > Proprietor of Viridian Dreams
      >
      > http://www.matthewschocke.com
      >
      > "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

      VERY glad
      > our society is one in which those elaborate distinctions do not fit.
      >
      > The Unicorn
      >
      > Matthew Schocke <cladran@...> wrote:
      >
      > Hmmm. I didn't think I used sweat drops, but Naruto does have the
      > "scratching-the-back-of-his-head-when-embarrassed" mannerism.
      >

      > And the name suffixes are just neat - I wish we had something similar in
      > English to denote relationships and status. It's also significant to the
      > plot to notice that Hinata privately refers to her teammate as
      Naruto-kun,
      > and to note her reaction when he slips and calls her Hinata-chan for the
      > first time.
      >

      > -Matthew Schocke
      >
      > Proprietor of Viridian Dreams
      >
      > www.matthewschocke. <http://www.matthewschocke.com/> com
      >
      > "Wouldn't it be cool if."

    • nielingage
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007
        --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, "pyrodaemon87"
        <babylovesu06@...> wrote:

        > This is just a quick question while I'm reading but what does "teme" I
        > believe, you've used it after...Sasuke? a few times and since Naruto
        > doesn't really like him I'm taking it as a bad thing but I'd really
        > like to know if that's right.

        If I'm remembering my limited knowledge of Japanese insults correctly,
        it's roughly the same as calling someone "bastard" in english. Any way
        you want to take it though, it's a fairly strong insult.
      • Matthew Schocke
        Message 3 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007

          I’ve heard it translated as ‘-bastard’ before, but I’ve also heard claims that it’s more like “You!” that someone might use when incoherently angry. Not much of an issue at the moment because T8-Naruto doesn’t consider Sasuke his great rival anymore…

          <cladran@... > wrote:

          > Well, we don't need to go 'whole hog' on the concept. As far as they
          seem to
          > be perpetuated in anime (and Team 8)
          >

          > * -sama = indicative of extreme respect, think branch house member
          > talking to Hiashi, or Shinobi talking to Hokage
          >

          > * -san = indicative of respect, or recognition of accomplishment.
          > Think Shibi meeting Naruto in public and wishing to make an
          impression on
          > braindead bystanders.
          >

          > * -kun = familiar, male-only, used for younger male relatives or male
          > the speaker feels particularly close to
          >

          > * -chan = familiar, female-only, used for younger female relatives or
          > a female the speaker feels particularly close to
          >

          > And YES, I am drastically oversimplifying. Go hit wikipedia if you
          want all
          > the gory details.
          >

          > -Matthew Schocke
          >
          > Proprietor of Viridian Dreams
          >
          > http://www.matthews chocke.com
          >
          > "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

        • kyadytim
          Message 4 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007
            Pardon the language, but it's roughly equivalent to calling someone
            "bastard," "ass," "asshole," or "jerk," depending on how it's said and
            who it's said between.

            So yeah, it's an insult.
          • The Unicorn

              Message 6 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007
                At 10:20 AM 6/1/2007, you wrote:
                >I’ve heard it translated as ‘-bastard’ before,
                >but I’ve also heard claims that it’s more like
                >“You!” that someone might use when incoherently
                >angry. Not much of an issue at the moment
                >because T8-Naruto doesn’t consider Sasuke his great rival anymore…

                The latter translation is correct, as far as I've been able to find.

                The 'bastard' translation may have been used for
                the American dubs and subtitling to emphasize the
                meaning and emotion behind the expression, but
                isn't actually present in the Japanese.

                --
                "Here is the price of freedom: Your every drop of courage,
                ounce of pain, pint of blood. Paid in advance." -- Andromeda
                Message 7 of 19 , Jun 1, 2007
                  Literally, it translates as 'you' but it's one of several uses of 'you' (including, for example, 'kisama') that are profoundly rude. Probably the closest context would be to translate it as 'you (insert obscenity)', 'you bastard' for example. I'm not sure if it would be used except to someone, but if there are any examples of Naruto refering to Sasuke as teme when he's not speaking to him then it would probably be best rendered as 'that bastard'.

                  D.