Reading aloud (was Re: No longer talking about)

  • dictator_hynkel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2007
      Hallo Jan

      Witch voices are you using for your text to speech application.

      I'm searching for more voices for a project done with one of Dorothy's
      story 'Family Values'. It's done with different voices for different
      characters, so there is a real dialog.
      If you are interested in the mp3/audio file, the are available for
      download at:
      http://fanfiction.mine.nu/audio.htm

      Markus

      --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, "Jan Monroe" <janmonroe@...>
      wrote:

      > Download a text to speech program like Coolspeak or ReadPlease or
      > Naturalreader. They are available at www.download.com
      >
      > I have to congratulate you on your editing. Matt's stories are very
      easy to
      > listen to. Considering that most stories aren't worth converting,
      it is a
      > high compliment. I've read several recommended stories that were so
      poorly
      > written that I wouldn't dream of converting them to MP3. And yes, I
      do have
      > Matt stories as MP3 files. I use Textsound to convert them. Just
      think of
      > it as a home made audio book--with computer voices.
      >
      > Jan

      12/29/2006
      > 8:22 AM

    • Lindsey Schocke
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2007
        Hello Jan,

        At 10:54 PM 12/30/2006, you wrote:
        >I have to congratulate you on your editing. Matt's stories are very
        >easy to listen to.

        Thanks! Matthew gets most of the credit here! He learned how to
        create great dialogue from years of table top role playing games.
        When you are the Game Master, you provide all of the voices,
        descriptions, etc.. for all of the non-player characters and make the
        "game world" come alive for the players. Matthew has been a GM for
        many, many games, which means he can generate dialogue "on the fly"
        much quicker than I ever could!

        My parents read aloud to me from the day I came home from the
        hospital. I love listening to someone read aloud. I enjoy reading
        aloud myself because I notice subtleties in the text that I normally
        wouldn't catch otherwise. It also makes you really slow down and
        parse each line ... you can't skim over something. You also catch
        alliteration and interesting word sounds / puns that way too. =)

        >Considering that most stories aren't worth converting, it is a high
        >compliment. I've read several
        >recommended stories that were so poorly written that I wouldn't
        >dream of converting them to MP3.
        >And yes, I do have Matt stories as MP3 files. I use Textsound to
        >convert them. Just think of it as
        >a home made audio book--with computer voices.

        Would you be willing to provide the MP3 files so we could put them in
        the Yahoo Group files section? (will Yahoo allow that?)

        Sincerely,
        Lindsey Schocke

        Geeks On Tap: Mission Accomplished
        http://www.geeksontap.com/
      • Jan Monroe
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
          I can make a new set of files. I listen to them at 200 words per minute--it
          is way to fast for most folks.

          Do you want a male or female voice? I also have British voices.

          Each chapter of the story would be a separate file. That means they will be
          about 45 to 60 minutes long.

          Jan

          >I have to congratulate you on your editing. Matt's stories are very
          >easy to listen to.

          Thanks! Matthew gets most of the credit here! He learned how to
          create great dialogue from years of table top role playing games.
          When you are the Game Master, you provide all of the voices,
          descriptions, etc.. for all of the non-player characters and make the
          "game world" come alive for the players. Matthew has been a GM for
          many, many games, which means he can generate dialogue "on the fly"
          much quicker than I ever could!

          My parents read aloud to me from the day I came home from the
          hospital. I love listening to someone read aloud. I enjoy reading
          aloud myself because I notice subtleties in the text that I normally
          wouldn't catch otherwise. It also makes you really slow down and
          parse each line ... you can't skim over something. You also catch
          alliteration and interesting word sounds / puns that way too. =)

          >Considering that most stories aren't worth converting, it is a high
          >compliment. I've read several
          >recommended stories that were so poorly written that I wouldn't
          >dream of converting them to MP3.
          >And yes, I do have Matt stories as MP3 files. I use Textsound to
          >convert them. Just think of it as
          >a home made audio book--with computer voices.

          Would you be willing to provide the MP3 files so we could put them in
          the Yahoo Group files section? (will Yahoo allow that?)

          Sincerely,
          Lindsey Schocke

          Geeks On Tap: Mission Accomplished
          http://www.geeksontap.com/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          1:34 PM
        • MercuryBlue
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
            > Would you be willing to provide the MP3 files so we could put them in
            > the Yahoo Group files section? (will Yahoo allow that?)

            Yahoo allows it, but MP3 files eat storage space real fast. May I
            suggest you create another YahooGroup just to store the MP3s on?

            MercuryBlue
          • Jan Monroe
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
              I have a site from my ISP that I'm not using. I can post them there after
              they are posted to yahoogroups for a few weeks. That lets the list sibs
              download them, if they want them, on yahoo's bandwidth.

              Jan

              > Would you be willing to provide the MP3 files so we could put them in
              > the Yahoo Group files section? (will Yahoo allow that?)

              Yahoo allows it, but MP3 files eat storage space real fast. May I
              suggest you create another YahooGroup just to store the MP3s on?

              MercuryBlue

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              1:34 PM
            • Valerie Yeary
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2007
                RE: [viridian_dreams] Re: Reading aloud - Mp3 of Matt's Stories

                If you run out of storage or bandwidth on your site, I'd be happy to host a mirror.

                On Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:00:02 -0500, "Jan Monroe" <janmonroe@...> said:

                I have a site from my ISP that I'm not using. I can post them there after
                they are posted to yahoogroups for a few weeks. That lets the list sibs
                download them, if they want them, on yahoo's bandwidth.

                Jan

                Valerie M. Yeary
                --------------------------------------
                Dew naught trussed yore spelt chucker.

              • dictator_hynkel
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 10, 2007
                  --- In viridian_dreams@yahoogroups.com, Lindsey Schocke <lindsey@...>
                  wrote:
                  > Would you be willing to provide the MP3 files so we could put them in
                  > the Yahoo Group files section? (will Yahoo allow that?)

                  Hallo Lindsey

                  Chapter 1 as an mp3 file is available at the following website:

                  http://pdb.fanfic.googlepages.com/

                  Length of chapter one is 42;26 minutes and the size of all tree
                  rar files together is 13,2 MB. The archive also contains a html file
                  and a tool
                  called voiscript25000.exe

                  If you load extract all files in a directory and load the html file
                  into VoiScript, you may have both the text and the audio file present.
                  The current position of the audio file is highlighted in the text.
                  If you want to see, how it looks like, a screenshot is available at
                  the FFA forum :
                  http://forum.fanficauthors.net/showthread.php?tid=783&pid=20904#pid20904

                  The tool is provided by the University College London
                  ( http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/resource/voiscript/ ) but it has a
                  limitation of 1000 words. The version in the archive is up to 25000 words.

                  Have fun

                  Markus

                  Fanfiction for your PDA
                  http://fanfiction.mine.nu