Re: Surname: Blair-Battle of Point Pleas

  • brbrooks99
    Message 1 of 102 , May 1, 2001
      From Yahoo search for the Battle of Point
      Pleasant-Web Page Matches (1 - 20 of 61200) <br><br>The Battle
      of Point Pleasant was the culmination of Lord
      Dunmore's
      the Battle Of Point Pleasant- there are two Blair
      surnames listed- use your search and
      the bloody, day-long Battle of Point Pleasant was
      fought. On October 10, 1774, Colonel Andrew Lewis' 1,100
      Virginia militiamen decisively defeated a like number of
      Indians led by the Shawnee chieftain, Cornstalk. Some
      consider the battle to be the first of the American
      Revolution. This action broke the power of the ancient
      Americans in the Ohio Valley and quelled a general Indian
      war on the frontier. Fought on this point of land
      known by the Wyandotte Indian phrase "tu-endie'wie," or
      "the point between two waters," the battle raged all
      day. At times Cornstalk and his braves held the upper
      hand, but eventually the firepower of the backwoodsmen
      proved superior on the heavily forested battlefield. At
      the end, 230 Indians were killed or wounded and more
      than 50 Virginians had lost their lives, including
      Colonel Charles Lewis, brother of the commanding
      officer.<br><br>The park features a museum operated by the Daughters
      of the American Revolution.
    • stpsrp86
      Message 102 of 102 , May 4, 2003
        thanks for the rely am very interested in any Prices you may have

        --- In virginiawestvirginiafamilies@yahoogroups.com, charlotte benway