Southdown Sand

  • brewsters34
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 7, 2003
      Have been in contact with numerous HDs in Northern Va. Anyone got
      any ideas where I could get three or four bags?
    • Aaron
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 8, 2003
        If the HD's in NOVA are out of Southdown sand you might want to try some in
        Maryland. I got my sand from a HD in Fredrick MD about a year ago I guess
        at this time. One of the issues you face is that its a seasonal item that
        is sold out with the rest of the lawn and garden items. Look for it around
        the mulch, and gravel bags for decorating your yard if you have no looked in
        those locations.

        Also note that Southdown sand may be currently sold under a differnt name.
        Southdown was sold to another company a while back. If you find a product
        called Yardright it is the same stuff as southdown.

        Here you will find a great post on southdown sand and what other names it
        might be sold under.

        http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=2483

        BTW, if anyone is in the Shenandoah Valley or Central Virginia area please
        contact me about how to join a growing regional message board.

        Have been in contact with numerous HDs in Northern Va. Anyone got
        any ideas where I could get three or four bags?

      • Richard Prior
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 8, 2003
          Aaron, thanks for the help. I'll check into the MD scene.
          Garrett
          Aaron <aaron@...> wrote:If the HD's in NOVA are out of Southdown sand you might want to try some in
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • shilohscoming
          Message 4 of 11 , May 8, 2003
            Is that sand good for a tank? What effect will if have, and would it
            cause hair algae, or any other algae bloom?

            Shiloh

            --- In virginiamarineaquariums@yahoogroups.com, "brewsters34"
            <brewsters34@y...> wrote:
            > Have been in contact with numerous HDs in Northern Va. Anyone got
            > any ideas where I could get three or four bags?
          • Aaron aka va_fish_freek
            Message 5 of 11 , May 8, 2003
              Southdown sand if fine for the aquarium. I know its labeled "Not for
              Aquarium Use" on the bag but this is more for legal protection as they can
              not guarantee it be free of impurities nor do they test of them. The sand
              is the exact same stuff that caribsea sand is made of. Overall it will
              have a buffering effect on your tank and help maintain calcium
              levels. Will it cause hair algae or an algae bloom? No. It shouldn't as
              the items that cause such things are excess nutrients. This is usually
              caused by excess nitrite, nitrate or phosphate.

              At 08:47 AM 5/8/2003 +0000, you wrote:
              >Is that sand good for a tank? What effect will if have, and would it
              >cause hair algae, or any other algae bloom?
              >
              >Shiloh
              >

              >--- In virginiamarineaquariums@yahoogroups.com, "brewsters34"
              ><brewsters34@y...> wrote:
              > > Have been in contact with numerous HDs in Northern Va. Anyone got
              > > any ideas where I could get three or four bags?

            • John
              Message 6 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                Southdown, is also packaged as Yardright Tropical Play Sand and Sold at Ace Hardware, in case you have difficulty with Home Depot.

                John
                Southdown sand if fine for the aquarium. I know its labeled "Not for
                Aquarium Use" on the bag but this is more for legal protection as they can
                not guarantee it be free of impurities nor do they test of them. The sand
                is the exact same stuff that caribsea sand is made of. Overall it will
                have a buffering effect on your tank and help maintain calcium
                levels. Will it cause hair algae or an algae bloom? No. It shouldn't as
                the items that cause such things are excess nutrients. This is usually
                caused by excess nitrite, nitrate or phosphate.

                At 08:47 AM 5/8/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                >Is that sand good for a tank? What effect will if have, and would it
                >cause hair algae, or any other algae bloom?
                >
                >Shiloh
                >

                >--- In virginiamarineaquariums@yahoogroups.com, "brewsters34"
                ><brewsters34@y...> wrote:
                > > Have been in contact with numerous HDs in Northern Va. Anyone got
                > > any ideas where I could get three or four bags?

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Rev E. Clyburn
                Message 7 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                  Hi Aaron,

                  didn't mean no harm by what I wrote, I read some articles about that
                  sand and thought I would ask. What do you do about some
                  form of bacteria in the sand? As live sand is just that, live, with
                  micro-organisms, worms, snails, etc.How do you get these life forms into
                  Southdown sand?

                  Edwin

                  aaron@... wrote:

                  > Southdown sand if fine for the aquarium. I know its labeled "Not for
                  > Aquarium Use" on the bag but this is more for legal protection as they
                  > can
                  > not guarantee it be free of impurities nor do they test of them. The
                  > sand
                  > is the exact same stuff that caribsea sand is made of. Overall it will
                  > have a buffering effect on your tank and help maintain calcium
                  > levels. Will it cause hair algae or an algae bloom? No. It
                  > shouldn't as
                  > the items that cause such things are excess nutrients. This is usually
                  > caused by excess nitrite, nitrate or phosphate.
                  >
                  > At 08:47 AM 5/8/2003 +0000, you wrote:
                  > >Is that sand good for a tank? What effect will if have, and would it
                  > >cause hair algae, or any other algae bloom?
                  > >
                  > >Shiloh
                  > >

                  > >--- In virginiamarineaquariums@yahoogroups.com, "brewsters34"
                  > ><brewsters34@y...> wrote:
                  > > > Have been in contact with numerous HDs in Northern Va. Anyone got
                  > > > any ideas where I could get three or four bags?

                  > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
                  > <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=249982.3179269.4495679.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705840470:HM/A=1524963/R=0/*http://hits.411web.com/cgi-bin/autoredir?camp=556&lineid=3179269&prop=egroupweb&pos=HM>

                  > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                  http://shopnow.netscape.com/

                • shilohscoming
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                    Hi Aaron,John, etc

                    --- In virginiamarineaquariums@yahoogroups.com, "John" <jct326@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > Southdown, is also packaged as Yardright Tropical Play Sand and Sold
                    at Ace Hardware, in case you have difficulty with Home Depot.

                    > John

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                      Sand will become populated over time from the live rock in the tank, however there are "kits" available that contain worms, bacterial ladened sand, etc. Cheapest way though is to find another reef keeper with an established tank and beg some sand.

                      I personally do business with Indo Pacific Sea Farms in Hawaii, no affiliation, just a satisfied customer. There website is http://www.ipsf.com/ also a good place to get some education.

                      John

                      wrote:
                      > Southdown, is also packaged as Yardright Tropical Play Sand and Sold
                      at Ace Hardware, in case you have difficulty with Home Depot.

                      > John

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Aaron
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                        No harm taken. I did not know I came across as if i was offended.

                        The southdown sand or any other dry sand can be classified as 'dead sand'.
                        There is no problem with adding dead sand to your system. In fact a economic
                        way of starting a tank is to use mostly dead sand and to suplment it with a
                        few lbs of high quality live sand. Alot of the items will come from your
                        live rock also.

                        Message 11 of 11 , May 8, 2003
                          Ok,

                          I've seen the kits your talking about, and you're right about live rock
                          adding life to the sand over time. But, nothing beats the actual stuff
                          for the ocean.
                          I have/had sand for the keys and from the gulf, and I like to see the
                          organisms I am getting when I buy sand. As a matter of fact, I'm about
                          to renew the sand in my tank. I've been looking around for sand at a
                          good price. Does Indo-Pacific sell sand. I think I'll get some from that
                          area, as well as other please and mix it, see
                          what happens.

                          Edwin