Southdown Tropical Play sand

  • luv2dive_right_in
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4, 2002
      Has any one heard of using "Southdown Tropical Playsand" as a
      substrate? I have heard that it works well, and at a fraction of the
      cost of the sand that you find in LFS's. I have heard of it being
      found at Home Depots, however, the Home Depot in my area does not
      carry it. Has anyone seen any?

      Thanks
      Robert
    • wvpepsi2001
      Message 2 of 5 , May 14, 2002
        Robert,
        I drove to Hickory,NC about a year and a half ago and bought 200
        lbs from the Marine Society down there. It is in my 75 gal and is 4"
        deep. It is full of worms and pods and I love it. It is a white
        colored sand and looks great. I would recommend it to anyone if you
        can find it.
        Pepsi
        --- In virginiamarineaquariums@y..., luv2dive_right_in
        <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > Has any one heard of using "Southdown Tropical Playsand" as a
        > substrate? I have heard that it works well, and at a fraction of
        the
        > cost of the sand that you find in LFS's. I have heard of it being
        > found at Home Depots, however, the Home Depot in my area does not
        > carry it. Has anyone seen any?
        >
        > Thanks
        > Robert
      • luv2dive_right_in
        Message 3 of 5 , May 15, 2002
          Thanks for the info on the sand. I located some in Frederick MD, and
          bought750 lbs on the 11th of May. It really is silty. How long did it
          take for your tank to settle?.

          Robert> wrote:
          > Robert,
          > I drove to Hickory,NC about a year and a half ago and bought 200
          > lbs from the Marine Society down there. It is in my 75 gal and is
          4"
          > deep. It is full of worms and pods and I love it. It is a white
          > colored sand and looks great. I would recommend it to anyone if
          you
          > can find it.
          > Pepsi
          > --- In virginiamarineaquariums@y..., luv2dive_right_in
          > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > > Has any one heard of using "Southdown Tropical Playsand" as a
          > > substrate? I have heard that it works well, and at a fraction of
          > the
          > > cost of the sand that you find in LFS's. I have heard of it being
          > > found at Home Depots, however, the Home Depot in my area does not
          > > carry it. Has anyone seen any?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Robert
        • wvpepsi2001
          Message 4 of 5 , May 15, 2002
            About a week each time I put a bag of sand in. I did it very slow
            and it took about a month to get all two hundred lbs in my tank. I
            wanted the good bacteria to be in the sand so I wouldn't have too
            much of a bio upset. With that much sand, how big is your tank
            anyway? I hope you are on a very firm foundation:)
            Pam

            <luv2dive_right_in@y...> wrote:
            > Thanks for the info on the sand. I located some in Frederick MD,
            and
            > bought750 lbs on the 11th of May. It really is silty. How long did
            it
            > take for your tank to settle?.
            >
            > Robert> wrote:
            > > Robert,
            > > I drove to Hickory,NC about a year and a half ago and bought
            200
            > > lbs from the Marine Society down there. It is in my 75 gal and
            is
            > 4"
            > > deep. It is full of worms and pods and I love it. It is a white
            > > colored sand and looks great. I would recommend it to anyone if
            > you
            > > can find it.
            > > Pepsi
            > > --- In virginiamarineaquariums@y..., luv2dive_right_in
            > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > > Has any one heard of using "Southdown Tropical Playsand" as a
            > > > substrate? I have heard that it works well, and at a fraction
            of
            > > the
            > > > cost of the sand that you find in LFS's. I have heard of it
            being
            > > > found at Home Depots, however, the Home Depot in my area does
            not
            > > > carry it. Has anyone seen any?
            > > >
            > > > Thanks
            > > > Robert
          • Robert Guy
            Message 5 of 5 , May 16, 2002
              i have a 90 gallon, and am in the planning stages of a 180-200 gallon. i don'tplan to use it all in one tank...LOL
              wvpepsi2001 <pshr@...> wrote: About a week each time I put a bag of sand in. I did it very slow

              <luv2dive_right_in@y...> wrote:
              > Thanks for the info on the sand. I located some in Frederick MD,
              and
              > bought750 lbs on the 11th of May. It really is silty. How long did
              it
              > take for your tank to settle?.
              >
              > Robert> wrote:
              > > Robert,
              > > I drove to Hickory,NC about a year and a half ago and bought
              200
              > > lbs from the Marine Society down there. It is in my 75 gal and
              is
              > 4"
              > > deep. It is full of worms and pods and I love it. It is a white
              > > colored sand and looks great. I would recommend it to anyone if
              > you
              > > can find it.
              > > Pepsi
              > > --- In virginiamarineaquariums@y..., luv2dive_right_in
              > > <no_reply@y...> wrote:
              > > > Has any one heard of using "Southdown Tropical Playsand" as a
              > > > substrate? I have heard that it works well, and at a fraction
              of
              > > the
              > > > cost of the sand that you find in LFS's. I have heard of it
              being
              > > > found at Home Depots, however, the Home Depot in my area does
              not
              > > > carry it. Has anyone seen any?
              > > >
              > > > Thanks
              > > > Robert