Vivaldi VIOLA Concerti ????

  • ViolaEnsembles@...
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 17
      Dear Fellow Violist,

      I do not have access to the complete works of Vivaldi as found in music libraries.  I think the Recordi Music company has listed BOOK F2 as Viola Concerti.

      Can someone please help me?  Just exactly how many viola concerti (not viola d'amore), did he write?

      Ken of Fresno
    • Myron Rosenblum
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 18
        Dear Ken,

        I know that some of the 8 Vivaldi concertos for viola d'amore have been transcribed for viola.  Since the va. d'amore has 6 or 7 playing Strings and different timings with double stop and arpeggio capabilities,  these Vivaldi concerti may not work well on viola.  Vivaldi played va. d'amore and as far as I know never wrote anything  for solo viola as opposed to Bach, Telemann and Graupner.
        Too bad he didn't.

        Myron R.

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 18
          I was thinking of the 6th Brandenburg.  One of the other Bach boys (Joh. Ch. Friedrich if I recall correctly) wrote a concerto for violin and viola.  There was also a supposed CPE Bach viola concerto,  but written by one of the Casadesus boys.

          Myron R.

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Oct 18, 2017, at 1:41 PM, Fritz Sonnichsen <sonnichs@...> wrote:

          Myron
            which Bach wrote a viola concerto?

          thanks
          fritz

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 19
            Thanks for the help. Yes, I know of all the concerti you mentioned. I was specifically curious about Vivaldi. In my 60 years, I never came across an actual authentic viola concerto by Vivaldi. This amazes me considering his prolific nature and I feel confident in feeling he must have played viola too.

            Ken of Sarum
          • Myron Rosenblum