Re: Bach, the Viola, the Suites and sonatas/partitas

  • The Strad
    Message 1 of 79 , Jun 1, 1999
      We at The Strad tried to obtain permission to rerelease Lillian Fuchs' Bach
      on CD a couple of years ago. Sadly, we couldn't get any response from the
      record company at all - maybe they simply have bigger fish to fry.

      Joanna Pieters

      >> I hope that Lillian
      >> Fuchs's 3 superb recordings will be reissued one day on CDs. They were
      >> the first recordings on viola that appeared and they are, still, in my
      >> opinion, musically and technically superb. Miss Fuchs does a wonderful
      >> job on the difficult 6th suite, and uses just four strings!
      >
      >I couldn't agree more......is there anything that we violists could do to put
      >pressure on the "powers-that-be" to reissue these amazing recordings in the
      >near future? Any ideas....?

      email thestrad@...
      The Strad, Orpheus Publications Ltd
      7 St John's Road, Harrow, Middlesex HA1 2EE
      Tel: +44 (0)181 863 2020; fax: +44 (0)181 863 2444
    • crown8008
      Message 79 of 79 , Jan 5
        Wow! I can't remember where I read that story, but yes his best bow on his current Italian viola is a brazilwood bow quite by fortuitous circumstances that he discover it and it is his best bow. I have a violin brazilwood bow that I use on my fiddle that is the best tonally and handling wise compared to my 2 other top pernambucos costing $1000s! Goes to prove one must "audition" the bow, regardless to whether is made with a wood or a synthetic. The "proof is in the puddling" in regards toperformance with ones particular instrument. Edmond Yee, Toronto Canada.
        Sent from my “contract free” BlackBerry® smartphone on the WIND network.