cases

  • Ann or Bob Frederking
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 3, 2004
      Greetings,

      I know the subject of cases has come up before and I probably will go back
      and search the archives, but I still thought I'd ask about people's
      experiences in recent days. I'm starting to look for a case for the new
      viola which I am having made.

      I know that I want backpack straps and not too heavy. But I also want a
      good suspension system for the protection of the instrument. I haven't
      quite decided whether I want to go with a dart-shaped or oblong case, but
      there don't seem to be very many dart- shaped cases available. A dealer in
      Montréal has suggested concord cases. I looked up their web site but the
      specs given don't include weight. I don't think I want to go into anything
      quite as expensive as the Mustafia case. And the BAM is too bulky.

      I would be interested in your experiences with cases.

      Ann F.

      Pictures (updated February 26, 2004 with new pics) of our twin grandchildren -
      www.magma.ca/~fredrkng
      Emmanubells Handbell Choir - www.magma.ca/~fredrkng/bells.html
      Canadian Viola Society web site - www.viola.ca
      Gloucester Emergency Food Cupboard - www.gefc.ca

    • Anne DeBlois
      Message 2 of 24 , Aug 3, 2004
        Hi,

        I do own a Concord adjustable case - I got it from Wilder & Davis. The
        weight is okay for me. So far, I am fully satisfied.

        I used to have a heavy, long plywood-shell case, which was not practical
        until I got my car. ;)

        Anne, from Québec (Canada)
        I know that I want backpack straps and not too heavy. But I also want a
        good suspension system for the protection of the instrument. I haven't
        quite decided whether I want to go with a dart-shaped or oblong case, but
        there don't seem to be very many dart- shaped cases available. A dealer in
        Montréal has suggested concord cases. I looked up their web site but the
        specs given don't include weight. I don't think I want to go into anything
        quite as expensive as the Mustafia case. And the BAM is too bulky.

        I would be interested in your experiences with cases.

        Ann F.

      • Wesley A. Dyring
        Message 3 of 24 , Aug 5, 2004
          At 09:08 AM 8/3/2004, Ann Frederking wrote:
          >I know that I want backpack straps and not too heavy. But I also want a
          >good suspension system for the protection of the instrument. I haven't
          >quite decided whether I want to go with a dart-shaped or oblong case, but
          >there don't seem to be very many dart- shaped cases available. A dealer in
          >Montréal has suggested concord cases. I looked up their web site but the
          >specs given don't include weight. I don't think I want to go into anything
          >quite as expensive as the Mustafia case. And the BAM is too bulky.
          >
          >I would be interested in your experiences with cases.

          Ann,

          I really like the BAM Hi-Tech case I bought earlier this year. I was using
          the BAM Trekking case, which had some very nice features but was very bulky
          and heavy. Not only did the Trekking have space for only two bows, but one
          of the two zippers stopped working--the only closure system for the
          case--which made me very nervous. The Hi-Tech is fully two pounds lighter
          than the Trekking, is much less bulky, holds four bows, is probably better
          in the rain and in keeping a stabilized humidity level in the case--and it
          looks cool!

          There is lots of room next to the scroll for a shoulder pad--I use a Velcro
          cable wrap to hold it in place. It has a fabric zippered bag to hold
          accessories, a generously-sized string tube and the block for the neck end
          of the instrument is adjustible, so it could easily hold any size of
          instrument up to 18 inches. Because of it being a molded case, the Hi-Tech
          is a bit noisier than the usual case since the hardware rattles. I didn't
          like the carabiners that came with it for holding the backpack straps, so I
          changed them for some swivel hooks I found at the hardware store, which are
          less bulky and allow the straps to adjust naturally.

          There are quite a few of us in the Seattle Symphony that use these cases for
          violin, viola and cello. Too bad they don't give us some kind of a deal....

          Wes
        • Jennifer
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 31, 2008
            I'm currently browsing around for a new double case (viola/violin).
            The one I have now is falling apart and I want to invest in something
            that will last for quite a while.

            Any suggestions for brands or companies to look into?

            Musafia looks enticing but I'm wondering if it's worth the expense.

            -Jenny Visick-
          • Vitally
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 31, 2008
              Bam !

              V.

            • chrisn@lgp.com.au
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 31, 2008
                I think the Musafia is the way to go - damn the expense!
                Full theme ahead Maestro!

                CN

                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
                  <<Bam !

                  V.>>

                  Is that the Emeril Lagasse model?

                  N.

                • Vitally
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 1, 2008
                    Kick-It-Up-A-Notch and have a white Bam Emeril Lagase Cast Iron Viola Case.
                    Yo can cook blackened Alligator steaks in it the way Papa Bam was teaching
                    in Montreal .

                    These sound proof pressurized cases will hold their beauty for a life time.
                    They have an imbedded secret compartenelized electronic chip with G.P.S.
                    tracking devise
                    And inflatable air bags inside in case (Pun) of a crash.
                    External video camera transmitting video streaming picture of the abductor,
                    Kid-Nap Proof.
                    Including A/C and climate control , humidity control, Voice recorder and for
                    emergencies,
                    a swipe slot for easy cash transfer, ATM and credit transfer.

                    Vitally