RE: [viola] Re: Bow Angle

  • Peter Crossley
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2003
      Don,

      Well from that description you are definitely tipping the bow away from the
      vertical to the string so we are not talking at cross purposes. When you tip the
      bow like that you are going to have a considerable difference in hair pressure
      on the string from one side of the hairs to another and it all conspires to
      degrade the sound quality.

      Regards

      Peter

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
        Peter Crossley writes:

        > it all conspires to
        > degrade the sound quality.

        I cannot agree to that. It gives a different quality to that produced by flat
        hair; the tilt of the bow is but one of the many factors involved in
        producing a varied and nuanced sound, bow pressure, point of contact, fingering and
        vibrato being some of the others.

        Best wishes,
        Paul

        Paul Silverthorne

        www.paulsilverthorne.com

      • Juan Krakenberger
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
          I second Paul's opinion. The right angle invites for more pressure from
          above, killing the sound, or - if the thumb does a really good job - in
          getting one only type of sound instead of several different ones.. The angle
          permits a sort of kindling of the bow stick, through a more subtle
          epidermical contact of index, middle and ring fingers, and this in turn
          allows more expressive playing.
          John Krakenberger
          www.j-krakenberger.org

          www.mp3.com/krakenberger
          Music for different violas
          oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
          Ein Nilpferd sass am Meerestrand
          Und wusch sich seinen Arsch im Sand
          Möge wohl Dein Herz so rein
          Wie dieses Nilpferds Arschloch sein.

          Heinrich Heine
          oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

        • ViolaGin@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2003
            Greetings,

            If the bow is at a right angle to the string, which is not parallel to the
            top of the instrument, or the floor, then it seems that the stick must of
            necessity be tilted slightly away from the player.

            My nickel's worth...
            Ginger
          • Peter Crossley
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 3, 2003
              Ginger,

              Yes that is correct but the only point at issue between myself and the others is
              the angle with reference to the string.

              Peter

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 7, 2003
                Paul,

                Well, having listened to and watched many proponents of the permanently canted
                bow I cannot agree that it enhanced the musical experience at all. The playing
                was insipid and lacked dynamic range. Of course in a recording studio this can
                be compensated for.

                Peter

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 7, 2003
                  This is a highly important matter and to to be taken so lightly as Nardo and
                  others have done.

                  After a performance I usually tilt slightly forward and bow from the waist,
                  unless the audience happens to be throwing things, in which case I bow out
                  as fast as possible.

                  Bow wow.

                  Bernie Zaslav