Re: [vintagejapansewingmachines] Re:Hello from a new member/ JennyG

  • Isabel
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 8 12:12 PM
      Thank you JennyG, i founf some info, the info from my
      Pink Remington machine: I don't know where to look for
      that model number.

      Model: R-20L
      22272
      HA003

      Thanks
      Isabel
      --- JennyG <got2bjennyg@...> wrote:

      > removed]

      http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
    • woolnrox
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 6, 2012
        Hello, all!

        I'm Deb from Wyoming.

        I'm contemplating the purchase of an Atlas machine which is virtually identical to the Brother machine on the site homepage. Can anyone tell me if these models had any plastic parts inside likely to break or otherwise deteriorate?

        Deb
      • Jeffrey
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 7, 2012
          There are a lot of Atlas posts in the message archive. Basically they were a badge that Brother sold under. The Select-o-matic manuals and parts are readily available.

          Jeff

          --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "woolnrox" <woolnrox2@...> wrote:

          > Hello, all!
          >
          > I'm Deb from Wyoming.
          >
          > I'm contemplating the purchase of an Atlas machine which is virtually identical to the Brother machine on the site homepage. Can anyone tell me if these models had any plastic parts inside likely to break or otherwise deteriorate?
          >
          > Deb

        • wifeofpinko
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 16, 2013
            Hi, I joined a few days ago and thought I should introduce myself. I have 6 SM at the moment. 3 are Taiwanese and 3 are Japanese.

            My Japanese models:(I posted an album for the AB a few minutes ago)

            American Beauty Deluxe Super Zig Zag by Standard Sewing Equipment Co of Japan. It lacks any JA or JC imprints and has a small plaque on the rim with the numbers 8634. The wiring is totally shot and the case is in bad repair. But it came with the manual and all its parts and was only $10. I bought it to take apart and learn how to fix ones of this era.

            JCPenney (Penncrest) Swing n Sew 3 model # 6550. It lacks the front and back panels and the manual but came with all the accessories. There is a spring loose on the reverse mechanism. I can't quite tell where it should be reattached. I'll post an album shortly. I really shouldn't have bought it ($35) but wanted a portable.

            Kenmore 85 aka 158.8550. It has the manual, accessories and the original table and storage chair. It is in full working order and will be my primary machine. I don't have pics yet but will post when I do.I found it on Craigslist for $40.

            I look forward to working on these and any others I might run across.
            Thanks!

          • Maria Goetz
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 18, 2013
              Dear ?
              Please help us be more friendly by signing your name.

              Welcome to this group. I am more of a people powered machine person myself,
              but we are here to figure things out together.

              You have certainly been blessed to get the accessories in all three of the
              machines you purchased , and at a great price. I on the other hand seem to
              find my machines where the accessories have either been lost or taken and
              the price is never that low. Only saving grace is most of these machines
              take class 15 feet or at least have one on the machine.

              If the American Beauty is a built in zz machine check the zz gear carefully.
              Mine has a different name, but the gear is cracked and have not yet found a
              replacement.

              Regards,
              Maria
              Smoky Mountains of Tennessee
            • wifeofpinko
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 19, 2013

                Hi Maria,

                Sorry for forgetting to add my name! I'm a bit more familiar with various media fandoms and tend to go by my pseudonyms Wifeofpinko and Notwendy.

                My name is Kelly (days away from 47, no kids, 4 cats and just celebrated 20 years with my spouse - occasionally crazy cat ladies are fortunate to meet crazy cat gentlemen). We are SC transplants in WI.

                I have many sewing books, notions, patterns and lots of fabric. I now also have 6 sm (approx 3-4 working). However, I've yet to really sew a project and I recently hemmed some pants with duct tape. : )

                I'm only missing the manual to one of the 6 (the JCP) so I should count my blessings (and share the wealth - I'll post scans in the file section or email them if people need one).

                I seem to pick up items that fall between the cracks - my Swing n Sew JCP is a model 6550, my MW (Taiwan) is a UHT J1964, my AB is a model MIZ # 8634 - I can find items online that are close but not an exact match. Odd.

                Seeing all the great pictures makes me want to add more machines. However, I better make use of the ones already in the house or I might not be celebrating 21 yrs. : )

                The AB is destined to be a paperweight until I replace the wiring. The cord for the light is fine but the rest looks like rats chewed on it. I'm hoping the motor just needs a new cord wired into it. Otherwise, there doesn't appear to be any cracked parts - I'll cross my fingers that I am correct when I can actually turn it on and see if it sews.

                Wish me luck!

                Kelly W - Milwaukee, WI

                PS - I went to the University of the South in Sewanee, TN and my husband is from Nashville. Beautiful state and now I'm craving BBQ!

              • Maria Goetz
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 27, 2013
                  Hi Kelly and welcome. Hope you do not mind that on Yahoo groups we like to
                  address people by their names.

                  So sorry for the delay in responding to this post.

                  Well, well, you fit right in. I can not recall speaking about cats on this
                  group, but if you join wefixit you will fit right in. If you decide to go
                  for treadles, Treadleon is also very cat friendly. Treadleon is a separate
                  forum, but will become a Yahoo group in the near future.

                  I have lots of fabric, books and notions too! Most of my fabrics are
                  quilting and crafts, but I have yet to make a quilt yet, so I know what you
                  mean!

                  I got my first machine as a present I purchased, to me from my husband, for
                  our wedding. Taught myself to sew and eventually sewed 3 piece business
                  suits and dresses which I wore to work in New York City. They looked pretty
                  good, if I do say so myself.

                  OK, hemming pants with duck tape. You deserve three lashes with a wet
                  noodle!

                  There is a manual on Ebay right now for your JCP machine

                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/J-C-PENNEY-SWING-N-SEW-MODEL-2-INSTRUCTION-MANUAL-/251251699499

                  Check Utube for ones on your Swing and sew Here is one

                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-sAWJ7CUu8

                  So, you have about 6 machines, do you? Well I am on my second husband, but I
                  collected all of them, I mean the sewing machines, while married to him. I
                  am 60 and we are going on 19 years.

                  Phyllis Rosenwinkel reminded me about a site that should be of interest to
                  you. Zorba, has an American Beauty made by National, a United States
                  company, but through his research he has lots of info and pics of American
                  beauty Machines made overseas. The rest of his site is fascinating as well.
                  Zorba is a belly dancer.

                  http://www.doubleveil.net/zssmp/ambeauty.htm

                  Yes Tennessee is a beautiful state. We retired here from NY/NJ, and boy is
                  the BBQ good! You must visit the Smoky Mountains and enjoy some and visit
                  me. Always welcomed.

                  Do not hesitate to keep in touch with the group and let us know how we can
                  help you get started on your machines and sewing! Now that we know your
                  name, maybe there is someone in your area too!