New member intro

  • sherid94
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
      Hi all:

      I just found this group and joined. I have a 1910 Treadle machine and
      just got a Wizard 3KC-8844 today and would love to know more
      information about it. The manual is in very, very good condition but
      there are no dates in it. I found an insurance payment book with dates
      in the mid-50's or so. Any information you guys can provide would be
      greatly appreciated. Also, can you get parts for this at a sewing
      store or off the web...where?

      Thanks!
      Sheri
    • sherid94
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
        Sorry, I should have said 1901 for the date on the treadle. Janome
        looked it up via the serial number and said it was manufactured in
        Orange, MA in 1901 not 1910. Sheri

        -
      • LaMar
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
          Welcome
          Sheri

          Tell us a little more about your machines.
          I have a Wizard also made by Brother.
          You can see it here.
          Can you post a picture of you wizard? I'd like to see it.
          My Wizard is one of my favorite machines.
          They shouldn't need much if you maintain them.

          LaMar
        • Bill Holman
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
            Sheri,

            Wizard was to Western Auto Stores as Kenmore is to Sears. They were
            likely made by numerous mfgrs, and you can be certain that the same
            machines were sold under other names as well. The only way you might
            find an IB is to go thru pictures/drawings of many models at the
            various on line sellers of manuals, and try to find something that
            looks like it. If you do find a match, the Wizard name is very
            unlikely to appear anywhere on the manual.

            Bill Holman
          • sherid94
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
              What's an "IB"? I haven't tried hard to find the exact info on this
              particular machine yet but would like to find the date and a part for
              the cabinet that it is in so I figured that I would need more
              specifics in order to do that. It does sew and has many of the
              original parts and peices...and was kept in very good condition. It's
              quieter than my Kenmore that I bought new from Sears! :)

              -
            • Frances
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 3, 2007
                Boy, does the mention of Western Auto Stores bring back memories.

                Bill Holman <wghmch@...> wrote: Sheri,

                Wizard was to Western Auto Stores as Kenmore is to Sears. They were
                likely made by numerous mfgrs, and you can be certain that the same
                machines were sold under other names as well. The only way you might
                find an IB is to go thru pictures/drawings of many models at the
                various on line sellers of manuals, and try to find something that
                looks like it. If you do find a match, the Wizard name is very
                unlikely to appear anywhere on the manual.

                Bill Holman

                Frances
                http://community.webshots.com/myphotos?action=viewAllPhotos&albumID=86910768&security=HjXBTb
                Notice, we never pray for folks we gossip about, and we never gossip about the folk for whom we pray! For prayer is a great deterrent.

              • Bill Holman
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
                  IB=Instruction Book

                  "..would like to find the date and a part for the cabinet that it is
                  in so I figured that I would need more specifics in order to do that."

                  Cabinet companies in those days had no connection to the SM mfgr. The
                  two most common were Parsons and Williams, but there were a number of
                  others.

                  Bill Holman
                • Kathy
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
                    Wizard 3KC-8844 today and would love to know more
                    > information about it.
                    Hi,
                    It is hard to identify these machines by a specific brand and model,
                    You can go through the photos section and let us know which machine
                    is similar.
                    Kathy
                  • sherid94
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
                      Okay, if I did this right here's a link to pictures of my "stuff"

                      owse/7e1d

                      I got the wizard yesterday at a garage sale. The man I bought it
                      from said his grandfather used it in the 40's or 50's to make
                      clothes for the family. He must have taken excellent care of it
                      because even though it has been in a garage for the last ten years
                      it started right up and sewed like a charm. I want to clean and oil
                      it well and clean up the cabinet before using it regularly.

                      The treadle needs a belt but seems to be in fairly good shape. The
                      cabinet needs repair but nothing too serious. I've heard they are
                      excellent for Quilting.

                      The instruction manual that came with the Wizard is in very, very
                      good condition and if anyone would like a copy of it let me know and
                      I can see about emailing a file or something. It has the manual and
                      a care and use pamlet for electric sewing machines. The instruction
                      manual does not include dating information which I would be
                      interested in knowing but can survive without.

                      Okay, so, loving a good bargain, I paid forty for the Wizard with
                      cabinet. Is that a good deal, fair or bad deal?

                      Sheri in Texas
                    • coleman482001
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 5, 2007
                        > Okay, so, loving a good bargain, I paid forty for the Wizard with
                        > cabinet. Is that a good deal, fair or bad deal?

                        Looks like a good cabinet, with a clean, solid, strong machine & good
                        assortment of accessories, including scissors -- I'd call it a pretty
                        fair to pretty good deal. Only you can say whether you'll get $40 use
                        out of it, but those types of Japanese machines can sew lots of
                        different fabrics without complaining. -- Becky