New to group, and a question...

  • wthcg
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2006
      Hi all. I am new to this world of vintage machines but quickly
      becomeing addicted. I am considering buying an old machine, but when
      I asked the seller if it has the bobbin case, he told me the bobbin
      goes on a metal rod. Can someone pleas clarify what that means,
      exactly? Is it a shuttle? I have never seen that sort of set-up in
      person, so I just "don't get it." Thanks much, Cheryl
    • Kathy
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 10, 2006
        he told me the bobbin
        > goes on a metal rod.
        Hi,
        Maybe he is refering to the spool pin and has no idea what a bobbin
        case is. After years of calling about and chasing machines I have
        encountered few that know anything about machines and are not a
        reliable source of information. Most times you will hve to see it
        with your own eyes. This is good because the "broken" machine they
        are selling needs only a small part or quick fix. No big deal if the
        bobbin case is missing, nearly all are easy to obtain and cheap.
        Kathy
      • wthcg
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2006
          Kathy - Thanks. I appreciate your input! Cheryl
          -
        • Jesse
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 11, 2006
            I think he means that the bobbin case, having a shaft in the center to put
            the bobbin on, is hollow, and slides onto the rod inside the bobbin case and
            clicks in.