Re: WHAT are these Ebay sellers thinking? Question and Rant.

  • milspecwrench
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2013
      Hi,
      I agree with you for the most part about how some people have unrealistic expectations when pricing their goods on eBay, I have to say that some folks are just greedy, but that's cool, I don't have to buy their wares anyway....
      However, another part of the problem is eBay it's self and it's shipping policies, for example if the buyer pays the shipping, eBay takes a chunk out of it for whatever reason, and if a seller is not careful then they might have to pay part of the shipping, But if they offer "Free Shipping" and add shipping into the asking price, the eBay doesn't take a cut.
      Understand, I'm not defending most of these "Power Sellers" who use terms like "Attic Fresh" or "Barn Find" or any other terms to "fluff up" their description, and I really hate it when some dishonest seller describes a machine designed for home use as "Industrial" or "leather-working" just because it is of all metal construction.
      It's pretty much like anything else be it shopping online or the local swap meet, "Buyer Beware"......and remember, There will be another "Rare and wonderful" Item just like it on another auction next week! So be patient, check out craigslist, and eventually you will find what you want at a reasonable price.
      Out, Mel.

    • mikebees2104
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 28, 2013

        > I would like your 2 cents please.

        OK, here is my 2 penneth worth (UK speak for 2 cents!), I buy and occasionally sell sewing machines on e bay in the UK but when I do the machines have been cleaned oiled and accurately described. What really gets to me though are the sellers (and it seems to be the same ones all the time) that describe the machines as 'industrial strength', 'semi-industrial', 'very heavy duty' or 'leather sewing machine' for what clearly are DOMESTIC SEWING MACHINES! These sellers prey on the gullible who will pay ridiculously inflated prices because of the misleading descriptions. The sad thing is that the majority of the machines do sell. Its about time e bay had a crackdown, a DOMESTIC IS A DOMESTIC AND AN INDUSTRIAL IS AN INDUSTRIAL. The only machine that I know of that has crossed over is the Singer 201K, this was used in some factories.