DressMaker 133 zig zag super deluxe JA16 SN# 29112

  • Megan L. Rinehart
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 28, 2013
      I got this sewing machine at a auction and was wondering how much it is worth
    • rons_hobbies
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2013
        Value is 100% in the eye of the beholder often joined to where they are sitting. My favoriate source for educating myself on "value" is eBay completed auctions. You may have to educate yourself on what machines are "close enough."

        Ron

        --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Megan L. Rinehart" <mlrl55@...> wrote:

        > I got this sewing machine at a auction and was wondering how much it is worth

      • Cari
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2013
          This is a very subjective question. The short answer is that it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it on any given day. What you paid for it is what it was worth that day. Generally, most Japanese machines don't have the $$ collectible value as say, some older Singers, but there are people out there who collect and love certain brands over others.
          Is it in a case or a cabinet? Does it have the manual and all it's accessories? Is it in good working condition? Are there any parts broken or missing? These are all things to think about and a buyer is going to want to know.
          Unlike Ron I don't use Ebay as a guide for pricing a machine because of all the inflated prices that inexperienced people pay for machines just because the seller has good marketing skills. For example, I have a certain machine I got for $20, a fair price for a common straight stitch head that had nothing with it. Not too long ago I saw the exact same machine sell for $200 on Ebay because it was grossly misrepresented by the unscrupulous seller.
          So, if you bought the machine just to resell it for profit, all I can tell you is put whatever price you want on it. If it sells, great. If it doesn't, you may have some more thinking to do.

          Cari

          --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Megan L. Rinehart" <mlrl55@...> wrote:

          > I got this sewing machine at a auction and was wondering how much it is worth

        • Christine
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 7, 2013
            I agree with Cari. Ebay is the WORST place to determine value. Very frequently sellers on CL will quote "Selling on the Internet (or ebay) for $XXXX." They don't check completed sales, and they quote only the highest prices. And then there are the shyster/liars sellers who grossly misrepresent the value and abilities of these old machines. If you look closely you will also find the "Shill sales" of overpriced machines, the same one over and over, always high priced.

            Local sellers, not knowing any better, check ebay then list dirty plain old straight stitch machines for several hundred, "Priced to sell"...."Run don't walk"...."Don't wait it won't last"....etc. "NO lowball offers, I know what it's worth."They are so convinced that their old machines are valuable antiques that they refuse to accept a reasonable amount, and the machines are listed for month, even years.

            Chris