Webster Sewing Machine

  • treadlebug
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2013
      I recently fell heir to a Webster sewing machine, which has an electric motor and is belt-driven. It has the faceplate mounted tension device, and the vertical bobbin assembly of a Singer Class 15, and the stitch length regulator control of a 201. I haven't measured the bed, but it appears to be a full-size machine.

      The S/N on the Webster is on the front bar on the underside (the outside of the rim that would fit down into a case), and it is K7072383. Since this machine was made in Japan, and having some idea of its heritage, I imagine it was made in the late 40s or 50s . . . and probably has nothing to do with the Hunt-Webster or Ladd-Webster of the 1800s??? At least, I haven't been able to find any connection.

      Can anyone give me any additional information on this machine/its age, etc?

      Treadlebug/Carolyn on the Suwannee
    • Cari
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2013
        Carolyn,
        What you have is a typical HA-1 15 class clone. Most are very good machines, strong and make beautiful stitches. Most likely no connection to the others you mentioned. Serial numbers on these mean nothing as there are no records for the Japanese machines like there are for the American made machines. Dating them is also a best guessitmate unless you have a dated sales receipt. These machines were made clear up into the 1960s. Color, drop feed, and style of face plate can help approximate the date.

        Cari