Re: [vintagejapansewingmachines] Re: Simon Super-Deluxe Automatic Zig-Zag 142B_JA13

  • Timothy Kirkpatrick
    Message 1 of 4 , May 2 12:11 PM
      On 05/01/2013 01:57 PM, Cari wrote:

      > Tim,
      > No need to wire it that way. Household sewing machines use so little
      > power that it would be over kill. When I got my Underwood, it wasn't
      > working and I thought I was going to have to rewire it. Turns out, one
      > of the wires into the foot control had disconnected. Fixed that and it
      > worked. If you really have doubts about the wiring, rewire it original
      > and plug the machine into a ground strip.
      >
      > Cari
      >
      > --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:vintagejapansewingmachines%40yahoogroups.com>, "tpkirkp"
      > <tpk@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Just added 8 pics of my Simon machine I got free from a friend.
      > Seems to work, but needs a bobbin rewind tire and a good
      > cleaning/lubrication. Also going to rewire it. I want to use a 3-wire
      > grounded power cord if possible.

      Cari,

      Thanks for the info. The 2-wire original cords are in good shape. I need
      to put a strain relief in the control pedal, but the rest is all good.
      I was thinking of the re-wire as more of a safety issue, as the 3-wire
      cord would ground the chassis of the machine.
      BTW, do you have any good places to get a bobbin rewind tire for it?

      Thanks
      -tim

      --
      24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case...coincidence?
      A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory!
    • Cari
      Message 2 of 4 , May 5 1:26 PM
        Tim,
        There's no need for grounding the chassis. As long as there are no bare spots in the wiring, there should be no tingles when you touch the machine. If there is, finding the bare spot and fixing it is all that's needed. As for the bobbin tire, most home sewing machines use one of two standard sizes you should be able to get at any sewing shop, JoAnns, etc.Doesn't matter what brand. Also check the links section for Jenny G at Sew Classic or Cindy Peters. Both women are the best and great to deal with.

        Cari