Re: I'm new, and my new acquisition

  • rons_hobbies
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2013
      I recall hearing about one on another list, probably WeFixit. I've never heard of Singer "back in the day." making machines to be sold under other names. Yes, it's most likely a clone. I put a FAQ in the group files you may find helpful.

      Ron

      --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "mjmollman" <mj.mollman@...> wrote:

      > I'm Jo Anna. I found you all when trying to find information on my new sewing machine. I just recently purchased a McCall's brand ha-1 sewing machine. I found it on Craig's List. Have you heard of it before? I thought I had read about Singer actually manufacturing some machines with the McCall's brand, but this has a badge that says made in Japan. It seems to be a clone of a Singer 15-91, except it is belt driven.
      >
      > Thanks for any help.
      >
      > Jo Anna

    • Cari
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2013
        Hi JoAnna,
        No, Singer did not make your machine. Singer did not badge domestic sewing machines for other companies. Yes it is what we call a Singer clone, a 15 class Japanese machine. A 15-90 I think was the machine copied by Japanese manufacturers. These straight stitch machines are workhorses.
        Your machine probably was commissioned by McCalls(the pattern maker) for sale in the US. I think a few companies like this had machines over the years.

        Cari