A Nelco sewing machine I think.

  • cattrix999
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2012
      Hi group, I got a new sewing machine and it's a bit of a conundrum. It was listed on a freecycle group here and I resisted the initial impulse to inqure about it for several hours and noticed that a taken post had not occured, so asked the giver what kind it was, she said that it there was a Nelco nameplate in the accessory box and indicated that she had got it several years ago and just had not done anything with it and was moving soon and didn't want to drag it with her. When she said Nelco, I thought oh, 15 class made in Japan.She said it did power up but the box base was broken and would have to be repaired.

      So, it was free. Husband swung by on his way home from work and picked it up. I was thinking it was going to be an Emdeko type of machine.

      Wrong. It's a 3/4 size shuttle long bobbin with a motor. and the shuttle rather than the arc from front to back across the bed like a Singer 27, is situated in a arc behind the needle plate.

      I was a little shocked, as I was expecting a huge and heavy lug.
      For it's size it's still quite heavy, all metal. Made in Japan. But I'm not sure if this is really a Nelco. The plate was off and it was bent and does not quite fit the screw hole alignment where the badge goes. It's bowed out a little and looks to sit down to far.

      The shuttle is broken, the outer spring flange was bent and the tiny screw was missing. But a 128 Singer shuttle looks exactly the same and seems to fit in the shuttle carriage and work. Lucky I have a 128 to test it with.
      We oiled it up and it does run, the cords are in good condition and the foot controller works. Have not threaded it up yet.

      There was some screws in it that are missing, and it looks like someone borrowed screws from the stitch regulator plate and the name badge to use in the needle plate.

      This is an odd little thing, hopefully it will sew well as not only does it seem solid but it has reverse and Zigzag!! Plus the motor can be taken off and looks like it could be treadled. I may have found my Zigzag treadle machine.
      I've searched for info on this but have not come up on much so far.
      Has anyone heard of know anything about this machine?
      I posted pics in my album and they should be in the New Photos in the Side bar.

      Thanks
      Cat in Collld OR.
    • DaddyDean
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 2, 2013
        HI Cat,

        I saw your pictures and I posted some comments that may help you, as the message was not posted when I saw the pics. You can email and I will try to answer some of your questions. If you do not have manual go to the Singer site, and in the search box type the model search for manual 768. You will see there is a free down load for 768W that is for White machine that is just like yours.
        Dean
      • cattrix999
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
          Hey Dean Thank you,
          I did see your comments on the little VS machine pictures,
          I just went to the Singer site and nothing comes up in search for me for manual 768.

          Singer site is temperamental at times I have found.

          Question. the tension assembly and dial. there is something wrong with it, finding one exactly like it would be like finding a needle in a haystack, but could another "brand" like a Singer dial work?

          I think it might depend on the screw pin and if the bits and pieces would fit on it?

          Cat in OR

          --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "DaddyDean" wrote:

          > HI Cat,
          >
          > I saw your pictures and I posted some comments that may help you, as the message was not posted when I saw the pics. You can email and I will try to answer some of your questions. If you do not have manual go to the Singer site, and in the search box type the model search for manual 768. You will see there is a free down load for 768W that is for White machine that is just like yours.
          > Dean

        • cattrix999
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2013
            This is odd. I replied to your post early this morning and it has not shown up.

            Yes, I saw the comments on the pictures, Thank you! I'm just wondering if this little machine is worth trying to save.

            The tension assembly has some problems that I'm not sure what to do with, the tension nut? does not want to hold the parts on. After looking at it I'm thinking that the beehive spring, might not be original as it's a very dark color, more like a Singer.

            Would it be possible to just replace the whole tension thing, the whole unit from another machine, I don't really care if the color matches or not.

            I like this little doofy machine so much and I want it to sew. laughs.
            It's a very strange little thing,
            Here are some strange points.
            1. Clearance under the foot is very little
            2. The oddest looking check spring I have ever seen.
            3. No oil wick.
            4. It's strange fitting badge (but I kinda know what that is)
            5. The JA 47, number I have not been able to find as to who the maker is. serial # is 73248 At least I think that is the serial number.
            6. No marks or names hiding behind the motor.
            7. Extremely heavy for it's size,

            Cat in the ORT cloud