Re: "Industrial strength" has made it into company's ads

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 11 , May 21 4:57 AM
      ---Hi,

      Their ads should say what the machine is for and refrain from puffing,
      if it is wrong to use industrial strength on ebay, it is wrong
      everywhere else. This implies the machine is as strong as an
      industrial. It is impossible for a machine with a built in motor to be
      as strong as a machine with a half horsepower clutch motor.
      The industrial strength phenomenon has existed on ebay for at least
      two years, early on, sellers would list plain looking machines with
      the names removed as industrial.
      What makes you believe ad people do not use ebay? It works just like
      the ad business, the right title and description does wonders.
      The ad should tell me "cast aluminium, full rotary hook, all gear, 3
      amp,etc not useless BS. I guess the general public finds technical
      facts boring and BS appealing.
      Kathy
    • Sabrina Fisher
      Message 2 of 11 , May 22 6:56 AM
        I saw the same ad in the back of sewnews. It amazes me that people
        would make such a purchase without doing their research. There is so
        much info available re. sewing machines that there is no excuse really
        for not being able to make an informed decision even in the face of
        false advertisement.
      • farracrs
        Message 3 of 11 , May 22 9:13 AM

          >I saw the same ad in the back of sewnews. It amazes me that people
          >would make such a purchase without doing their research. There is so
          >much info available re. sewing machines that there is no excuse really
          >for not being able to make an informed decision even in the face of
          >false advertisement.

          It really is not false advertisement. The machine is being used in
          commercial settings, small ones but still a commercial setting. It is a
          great machine......Have you tried it yet?
          The customers who are buying these want the speed, and features of a
          commercial machine without the size or bulk. This model does provide
          that, AND you will be seeing more of them in the future. Singer is
          trying to bring their version, similar to a 188 to market, a small semi
          commercial home machine very much along the lines of the Janome and the
          Juki.
        • Kathy
          Message 4 of 11 , May 22 2:41 PM
            - There is so
            > >much info available re. sewing machines that there is no excuse really
            > >for not being able to make an informed decision even in the face of
            > >false advertisement.
            Hi,
            The completed Ebay auctions prove that many people do no research at
            all and believe all of the claims made by the seller, then, to top
            all, post feedback that they are thrilled with the horribly overpriced
            machine they received. It only takes a few minutes to search completed
            auctions using the make and model of the machine, sans the "industrial
            strength" to get a realistic value of the machine.
            I don't think the use of "industrial strength" is blatant false
            advertising, but the term is impossible to quantify and is misleading.
            Kathy
          • Christi Stringer
            Message 5 of 11 , May 22 8:41 PM
              people don't seem to realize that research is half the fun. I really suprised my local sewing machine repairman today when I mentioned that MIL had a 66 redeye. He said the main reason he knew that term was his dad was "on old Singer man" and he had heard it from him. I guess he thought I was like those people on Ebay who spend 1000 dollars on and "industrial 201" or whatever when I had mentioned I was collecting the old machines.
              Christi in East Texas
              http://community.webshots.com/user/CAStringer
              > >much info available re. sewing machines that there is no excuse really
              > >for not being able to make an informed decision even in the face of
              > >false advertisement.
              Hi,
              The completed Ebay auctions prove that many people do no research at
              all and believe all of the claims made by the seller, then, to top
              all, post feedback that they are thrilled with the horribly overpriced
              machine they received. It only takes a few minutes to search completed
              auctions using the make and model of the machine, sans the "industrial
              strength" to get a realistic value of the machine.
              I don't think the use of "industrial strength" is blatant false
              advertising, but the term is impossible to quantify and is misleading.
              Kathy

              Sewing machine Singer sewing machine model Singer sewing machine 5040