Re: [vintagejapansewingmachines] Re: "Industrial strength" has made it into company's ads

  • farracrs
    Message 1 of 11 , May 20, 2006

      >The person that wrote the ad noticed how well machines sold with
      >industrial strength in the title. Why not call the machine
      >"industrial", "commercial" , "light industrial" simply because it is
      >not, Juki's own website has it listed among household machines.

      I would doubt that this is the case. The machine was released 2 years
      ago with the same add. I do not believe that the companies who make up
      the advertising spend much time on eBay. It is a machine that fills a
      need, and is recommended, and always has been for a specific niche in
      the cottage industry, be it straight sewing or quilting. Juki also does
      these for Brother, Bernina and SVP and other brands. All the ads are
      basically the same as is their position in the manufacturers order list,
      in with the domestic machines as this is the target market for the
      model. BUT, they do list it as an alternative to their full industrials
      in the industrial catalogues with the notation that it is for light
      production work.
    • Kathy
      Message 2 of 11 , May 21, 2006
        ---Hi,

        Their ads should say what the machine is for and refrain from puffing,
        if it is wrong to use industrial strength on ebay, it is wrong
        everywhere else. This implies the machine is as strong as an
        industrial. It is impossible for a machine with a built in motor to be
        as strong as a machine with a half horsepower clutch motor.
        The industrial strength phenomenon has existed on ebay for at least
        two years, early on, sellers would list plain looking machines with
        the names removed as industrial.
        What makes you believe ad people do not use ebay? It works just like
        the ad business, the right title and description does wonders.
        The ad should tell me "cast aluminium, full rotary hook, all gear, 3
        amp,etc not useless BS. I guess the general public finds technical
        facts boring and BS appealing.
        Kathy
      • Sabrina Fisher
        Message 3 of 11 , May 22, 2006
          I saw the same ad in the back of sewnews. It amazes me that people
          would make such a purchase without doing their research. There is so
          much info available re. sewing machines that there is no excuse really
          for not being able to make an informed decision even in the face of
          false advertisement.
        • farracrs
          Message 4 of 11 , May 22, 2006

            >I saw the same ad in the back of sewnews. It amazes me that people
            >would make such a purchase without doing their research. There is so
            >much info available re. sewing machines that there is no excuse really
            >for not being able to make an informed decision even in the face of
            >false advertisement.

            It really is not false advertisement. The machine is being used in
            commercial settings, small ones but still a commercial setting. It is a
            great machine......Have you tried it yet?
            The customers who are buying these want the speed, and features of a
            commercial machine without the size or bulk. This model does provide
            that, AND you will be seeing more of them in the future. Singer is
            trying to bring their version, similar to a 188 to market, a small semi
            commercial home machine very much along the lines of the Janome and the
            Juki.
          • Kathy
            Message 5 of 11 , May 22, 2006
              - There is so
              > >much info available re. sewing machines that there is no excuse really
              > >for not being able to make an informed decision even in the face of
              > >false advertisement.
              Hi,
              The completed Ebay auctions prove that many people do no research at
              all and believe all of the claims made by the seller, then, to top
              all, post feedback that they are thrilled with the horribly overpriced
              machine they received. It only takes a few minutes to search completed
              auctions using the make and model of the machine, sans the "industrial
              strength" to get a realistic value of the machine.
              I don't think the use of "industrial strength" is blatant false
              advertising, but the term is impossible to quantify and is misleading.
              Kathy
            • Christi Stringer
              Message 6 of 11 , May 22, 2006
                people don't seem to realize that research is half the fun. I really suprised my local sewing machine repairman today when I mentioned that MIL had a 66 redeye. He said the main reason he knew that term was his dad was "on old Singer man" and he had heard it from him. I guess he thought I was like those people on Ebay who spend 1000 dollars on and "industrial 201" or whatever when I had mentioned I was collecting the old machines.
                Christi in East Texas
                http://community.webshots.com/user/CAStringer
                > >much info available re. sewing machines that there is no excuse really
                > >for not being able to make an informed decision even in the face of
                > >false advertisement.
                Hi,
                The completed Ebay auctions prove that many people do no research at
                all and believe all of the claims made by the seller, then, to top
                all, post feedback that they are thrilled with the horribly overpriced
                machine they received. It only takes a few minutes to search completed
                auctions using the make and model of the machine, sans the "industrial
                strength" to get a realistic value of the machine.
                I don't think the use of "industrial strength" is blatant false
                advertising, but the term is impossible to quantify and is misleading.
                Kathy

                Sewing machine Singer sewing machine model Singer sewing machine 5040