Fitting a vintage brother to a singer treadle base

  • rainleedog
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 23, 2012
      Hello All! My name is Henry and this is my first time posting. I will be acquiring a vintage brother sewing machine that is exactly like the photo posted on the home page of this group. Could someone tell me if I can drop this head into a singer treadle base? I don't know the base dimensions of either. Thanks for your help.
    • Deena Flanigan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2012
        Most Brothers fit easily into Singer Bases. Kenmores and Whites usually do
        not.

        Sew on and Sew Forth
        Deena Flanigan (Ark.)
      • Cheryl
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2012
          Hello there, Henry

          I can't tell you for certain, but I think it will probably work. Most sewing machines of this era have the same "footprint" and should fit into a Singer treadle. I'm currently in the process of cleaning up a Singer treadle and putting a Riccar 108 zig-zag machine in it for a friend. I'm going to have to shave a tiny bit off the front support lip of the treadle base, but after that it will work just fine as a treadle. And by a tiny bit, I mean 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, no more.

          I think it is a great idea to pop a zig-zagger into a treadle. I see more and more interest in people powered machines, and the zig-zaggers are a lot more useful.

          regards
          Cheryl Warren
          http://DragonPoodle.blogspot.com

          --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "rainleedog" <rainleedog@...> wrote:
          I will be acquiring a vintage brother sewing machine that is exactly like the photo posted on the home page of this group. Could someone tell me if I can drop this head into a singer treadle base?
        • Jeffrey
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2012
            Oods are yes. Most Singer treadle bases out there are the standardized ones made after they discontinued doing shaped bases. After WWII most of the Japanese companies saw a market advantage to having their machines fit Singer cases and cabinets. Several people have mouted Japanese machines in Singer treadles with only the usual adjustments.

            Jeff

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2, 2012
              Hi Cheryl, Thanks for the reply. I just finished refurbishing the Brother and it runs fantastic. Didn't come with a zigzag needle plate so I've yet to run the patterns. I missed a big shot at acquiring an industrial singer treadle base on ebay. No one bid and it was going for cheap..the next time it reposted the bidding went nuts. Kind hanging my head on that one still. Oh well. When I'm not looking, that's when I'll stumble onto one.. in my dreams! Henry

              --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl" <cherylwarren27278@...> wrote:

              > Hello there, Henry
              >
              > I can't tell you for certain, but I think it will probably work. Most sewing machines of this era have the same "footprint" and should fit into a Singer treadle. I'm currently in the process of cleaning up a Singer treadle and putting a Riccar 108 zig-zag machine in it for a friend. I'm going to have to shave a tiny bit off the front support lip of the treadle base, but after that it will work just fine as a treadle. And by a tiny bit, I mean 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, no more.
              >
              > I think it is a great idea to pop a zig-zagger into a treadle. I see more and more interest in people powered machines, and the zig-zaggers are a lot more useful.
              >
              > regards
              > Cheryl Warren
              > http://DragonPoodle.blogspot.com
              >

              > --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "rainleedog" <rainleedog@> wrote:
              > I will be acquiring a vintage brother sewing machine that is exactly like the photo posted on the home page of this group. Could someone tell me if I can drop this head into a singer treadle base?

            • Helen Rooney
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 4, 2012
                Here's my conversion of a generic zigzag to treadle base.
                http://stitcharooney.blogspot.com.au/2010/07/treadle-to-zig-zag-conversion.html
                cheers,
                Helen