Re: trying to identify my machine

  • Cari
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 26, 2011
      Ross,
      Yes, it was your machine I was looking at, it's a beauty! Referring to a machine as a 15-class clone simply means that it has the body shape and bobbin of a Singer 15, not that it's an exact copy of a specific Singer model. I've seen it written that the early clones put out right after WWll weren't very good machines, but I have yet to see a Japanese straight stitch machine that wasn't a sweet stitcher. In fact, the only one of my straight stitch machines that isn't great is a Singer 66. I just can't bond with it.
      The HA-1 manual should work fine for your machine. Most of these clones are so much alike and so basic that once you know your way around one, you won't even need a manual. As for a belt, a v-belt or a lug belt should work fine, I even have the dreaded stretch belt on one of mine(it came that way)and it works fine, I just haven't gotten around to changing it yet. Check out Jenny's site, Sew Classic. She has a great tutorial on belts and good prices. She also sells bobbin cases, and when you buy from Jenny, you know you're getting a good product.
      I really know just about nothing about all the casting #'s on these old machines, I believe they have to do with what factory produced the machines, and helping to date them. Jeff can help you with that.
      The case may or may not be original to the machine, there's no way to be positive unless you buy from the original owner or know for a fact the machine is older than the case. The machines I've bought in this case are from the '40s, '60s, '80s and '90s. It's a great case, much sturdier than the thin hard plastic cases they make today. I don't know when this case was being made or when it stopped, but I have actually bought a machine at a thrift store(the '90s one-$10)just to get the case. They are like Rubbermaid protection for your sewing machine!

      Cari

      --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "levipoodletoy" <rbanymous-dog@...> wrote:

      > Cari,
      >
      > Not to detract from Connie, but maybe you are referring to my New Home,
      > as I did just post pictures of this soft jade green cutie under
      > Kazoogirl.

    • levipoodletoy
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 26, 2011
        Cheryl,

        Have you posted pix of them? If not, I hope you do, would love to see
        them!

        Ross in CA

        --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl Reed"
        <skycladcresteds@...> wrote:

        > I've gotten in two older class 15's New Homes lately and both of them
        were
        > specifically marked "New Home by Janome". That doesn't mean that all
        New