Just purchased a Universal Duluxe Streamliner over the weekend

  • Shadrack
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 26, 2011
      Wow.

      I own two Singer sewing machines. One is an industrial 96-10 and the other is a new Stylist. I walked by a tag sale and couldn't take my eyes off of an old sewing machine that looked like a cross between a 50's green Ford Edsel and sewing machine.

      I told my girlfriend that I don't need another sewing machine, but deep inside, I wanted it. It was like looking at an old car from childhood that I had a chance to own. She said that it was only 10 dollars and that I could just give it away if it didn't work.

      I bought it. I tinkered with it. Cleaned and oiled it. Read as much literature online about these old Japanese machines (thank you Yahoo groups). There was no manual but threading was easy and after adjusting the tension for about an hour (setting on 4 - thank you Yahoo groups), I was sewing. One of the easiest straight stitching machines ever. I realize that I have a pretty basic machine as there is no zigzag, but for my use, it is great.

      I look forward to adding another old Japanese machine or two. I will always need my industrial one, but how can I ever pass up a 10 dollar machine that works as well as this one?
    • Cari
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 26, 2011
        LOLOL...You've been bitten. I know how you feel. I'm going to be buried with my Singer 201, and my Brother Prestige, and my Universal, and my Brother Riviera, and so on.......

        Cari

        --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Shadrack" <novelbud@...> wrote:

        > Wow.

        . I walked by a tag sale and couldn't take my eyes off of an old sewing machine that looked like a cross between a 50's green Ford Edsel and sewing machine.

        > I look forward to adding another old Japanese machine or two. I will always need my industrial one, but how can I ever pass up a 10 dollar machine that works as well as this one?

      • p.ellis72
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 31, 2011
          You better be careful, these japanese sewing machine's are quite addictive, six weeks ago I bought one at a flea market for five dollars and now I have ten and counting, six keepers and four for parts.It seems that there is one for every color of the rainbow and the same machine will have just as many names.
          Aloha, Patrick

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
            Oh my. I think that I am going to need a 12 step program!

            "Hi my name is Nelson and I have a Japanese sewing machine problem..."

            > LOLOL...You've been bitten. I know how you feel. I'm going to be buried with my Singer 201, and my Brother Prestige, and my Universal, and my Brother Riviera, and so on.......
            >
            > Cari
            >
            > --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Shadrack" <novelbud@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Wow.
            > >
            > . I walked by a tag sale and couldn't take my eyes off of an old sewing machine that looked like a cross between a 50's green Ford Edsel and sewing machine.
            > >
            > > I look forward to adding another old Japanese machine or two. I will always need my industrial one, but how can I ever pass up a 10 dollar machine that works as well as this one?

          • Diane Heckel
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 2, 2011
              My green machine is actually badged Ford, model 600, made for the Ford
              Sewing Machine Company in Buffalo, New York, made in Japan. It looks
              like an old Ford!

              Diane in Central Virginia
            • yufatting
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
                Plus, they are just fabulous with all the chrome and knobs and auto paint. i have a herd of Singer Sland-0-matics, and i have Kenmores, but I can't seem to resist a pretty metallic blue and white JA-whatever with the stitch dials and levers and buttons. Problem is finding the stitch cams... there are many variations on stitch cams out there, and all they say on the box is "Deluxe ZigZag", arg!

                - Dee - who's last purchase was a 20 dollar baby blue and cream white Brother JA1 P/471032

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
                  LOL, tell me about it, I have 20 machines now....something about that blue (multiple shades, from baby to turquoise to metallic cadet blue) and cream white paint...and if i finally stumble across that pink Atlas....yes, intervention, but make it later...

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 3, 2011
                    Sounds cool, pictures please!

                    Cari

                    --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, Diane Heckel <novum0@...> wrote:

                    > My green machine is actually badged Ford, model 600, made for the Ford
                    > Sewing Machine Company in Buffalo, New York, made in Japan. It looks
                    > like an old Ford!
                    >
                    > Diane in Central Virginia

                  • Jeffrey
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 4, 2011
                      Those monthly dialysis treatments to control the levels of sewing machine oil, get to be a real bummer.

                      Jeff