Re: Industrial feet on low shank?

  • Olle
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 7, 2011
      Thanks very much.
    • jackie.tarbox
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 15, 2011
        --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Olle" <olle.jorsved@...> wrote:

        > damnit! :) Does anybody know if it's possible to fit industrial needles to a vintage japanese machines? They're so much cheaper, and there are more sizes available.

        If you go to Newark dress makers supply and look at their bulk needles I think you will find them very comparable in price to the industrial needles. As for the heavy duty needles used in sail making the answer is that they will not fit and if ground down to fit they cause problems and do not work I tried it with a size 20 needle and luckly did not damage my machine but I was just lucky.
      • Inspector
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 7, 2011
          The key to any modification is that it has to be done correctly!
          Grinding down a needle just to fit is not enough if it is not done correctly to achieve proper critical dimensions.
          Just like any action there is a wrong and a right way.

          I have used industrial needles in vintage domestic machines and they worked just fine if ground correctly to match the proper dimensions of the factory-made 130/705H type needles.
          I admit, not everyone is expected to be a trained or skilled machinist to know how to do it properly.

          Again, the important point is the ability to perform correct modifications -  not luck.

          .