motor question

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 10, 2011
      hello everyone

      I have an Emdeko machine that is as clean as a whistle inside and out. No lint, no old oil, looks brand new. I have oiled it and it runs very well.

      I plopped a heavy weight on the controller and just let her run.
      I ran it steadily for half an hour and by the end of that time (but not much before then) the motor started to get hot and smell a bit of burned oil. There was a slight trace of smoke rising, but very slight.

      I took the motor access cover off and peered in there afterwards and the motor exterior looks just as clean and shiny as the rest of the machine.

      I'm planning to give this machine to a friend and want to know if this is normal or something I should worry about. Obviously nobody sews like this (full speed without stopping for half an hour).

      thanks in advance for any advice

      Cheryl Warren
      http://dragonpoodle.blogspot.com/
    • Moe
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 13, 2011
        I love the Emdeko, and the only thing short of it just needing ran I have seen is the wiring in one I had got crumbly. (Which makes one wonder about heat, resistance, etc,)Otherwise, I'd blow it out and give it with the advice to unplug it at the end of the session, and let you know if it smokes at all. But then I live on the edge. :) infinetime.com

        > I have an Emdeko machine that is as clean as a whistle inside and then) the motor started to get hot and smell a bit of burned oil. There was a slight trace of smoke rising, but very slight.

        normal or something I should worry about. Obviously nobody sews like this (full speed without stopping for half an hour).

        > thanks in advance for any advice
        >
        > Cheryl Warren
        > http://dragonpoodle.blogspot.com/

      • cherylwarren_27278
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 15, 2011
          got to love someone who lives on the edge!

          thanks, that is reassuring

          Cheryl

          --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Moe" <kixfixing@...> wrote:

          > I love the Emdeko, and the only thing short of it just needing ran I have seen is the wiring in one I had got crumbly. (Which makes one wonder about heat, resistance, etc,)Otherwise, I'd blow it out and give it with the advice to unplug it at the end of the session, and let you know if it smokes at all. But then I live on the edge. :) infinetime.com

        • rons_hobbies
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16, 2011
            IMHO warm after 1/2 hour without stop is normal as is the ammount of oil burning off. If the wiring is fine all sounds great!

            Ron

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 17, 2011
              Ron,
              thanks so much! this is very reassuring. I will deliver the machine to my friend next week with a clear conscience.

              --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "rons_hobbies" <peter.pilot@...> wrote:

              > IMHO warm after 1/2 hour without stop is normal as is the ammount of oil burning off. If the wiring is fine all sounds great!
              >
              > Ron
              >
              > --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Cheryl" <cherylwarren27278@> wrote:
              > >
              > > hello everyone
              > >
              > > I have an Emdeko machine that is as clean as a whistle inside and out. No lint, no old oil, looks brand new. I have oiled it and it runs very well.
              > >
              > > I plopped a heavy weight on the controller and just let her run.
              > > I ran it steadily for half an hour and by the end of that time (but not much before then) the motor started to get hot and smell a bit of burned oil. There was a slight trace of smoke rising, but very slight.
              > >
              > > I took the motor access cover off and peered in there afterwards and the motor exterior looks just as clean and shiny as the rest of the machine.
              > >
              > > I'm planning to give this machine to a friend and want to know if this is normal or something I should worry about. Obviously nobody sews like this (full speed without stopping for half an hour).
              > >
              > > thanks in advance for any advice
              > >
              > > Cheryl Warren
              > > http://dragonpoodle.blogspot.com/

            • wiley_nancy
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 27, 2011
                I just bought one on Saturday (6/25) for $15 at Goodwill. I was so giddy when I brought her home. I've given her a good cleaning and oiling, will be replacing the bobbin tire and burned out bulb, but my main concern is the pedal does not respond until I get near the bottom and then she goes all out, full speed ahead. I had hoped to use her with my other "girls" (other sewing machines, half are vintage) in a beginner sewing class in a couple of weeks, but I can't have a child sewing her fingers together, now can I! Is it possible to find a vintage pedal for her, or should I try ordering a new plastic one (shudder).
              • AlanTbird@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 28, 2011
                  open it up, look inside.
                  I took a mouse sized lint bunny out of one recently and that fixed it right up.

                  another one needed the brass feeler and the contact points sanded a little bit

                  there's usually something you can do in there to fix em

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 28, 2011
                    You can try taking the pedal apart and seeing if there are bent resistor wires that are not being rubbed against. If you just have to have a metal pedal and you don't get a response here go to WeFixIt and post a request. You can also try Cindy Peters as she sells used parts.

                    Cindy Peters ~ stitchesintime@ earthlink. net
                    100 West Lyon Avenue, Lake City, MN 55041
                    http://community. webshots. com/user/ stitchesintime
                    Visit my Ebay Store ~ http://stores. ebay.com/ Stitches- in-Time

                    <Snip> . . . but my main concern is the pedal does not respond until I get near the bottom and then she goes all out, full speed ahead.
                    <Snip>
                  • chefcrazyhorse46
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 30, 2011
                      I need to clean the peddle as well. At a certain point, while I am running a test sew, the machine stops or slows down. Remember, when you are working on the power source Turn off and unplugged the electrical cord. I took my power supply partly part to fix the light-bulb flicker problem. The screws had wiggled loose and were tightened up. No more flickering light-bulb.