question

  • dblmstudio
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2010
      I have a cabinet Stitch Master sewing machine. I does not have a foot pedal but a knee lever and a round bobbin. I can not find anything about it. I do know it has bad wiring and I am afraid to plug it in and try it out. It is a straight stitch but does have reverse. And no booklet. Any help? Marianne
    • Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2, 2010
        Pictures help if you can post them. From the early days of the business to just about the 80's, every store no matter what size wanted its name on everything. So manufacturers built nameless machines that each store could slap a decal or badge on. There are hundreds of names that someday may be traced back to less then a dozen Japanese companies.

        With out knowing more anything said is a calculated guess. Given its in a cabinet and the general naming, its a good guess that if you look at the back of the machine your see one of two things, A wiring harness pluged in on top of the motor or two leads coming from the motor and the light. If its a harness you'll have to get a working one to test the motor. If its leads they will feed down inside the cabinet and plug into a terminal box usually at the back corner of the cabinet. With most of the cabinet mounted japanese machines, you'll find a terminal box. Shipping with leeds and a generic foot controler was just smart business. With leeds you can test the motor and light. You'll need a surge supresser and an extension cord. Check the leeds out for cracks and bare spots and check the motor for dust and dirt. Loosen the drive belt so the motor isn't under load. Make sure the surge supressor is turned off and plug the extension cord in. Plug the leed into the extension cord. clear the machine standing back and turn on the surge suppressor. If it hasn't been run in a while dust will cause a smoking smell. A real ozone smell indicated the motor needs careful inspection for a problem.

        You can google for both the wire harness and terminal box controllers. You can get them in knee and foot for what fits you best.

        Jeff

        --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "dblmstudio" <dblmstudio@...> wrote:

        > I have a cabinet Stitch Master sewing machine. I does not have a foot pedal but a knee lever and a round bobbin. I can not find anything about it. I do know it has bad wiring and I am afraid to plug it in and try it out. It is a straight stitch but does have reverse. And no booklet. Any help? Marianne

      • eaton_rapids
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 3, 2010
          I had a Stitch Master and it was a White. Had the green crinkle finish. If it is the same machine I believe I copied the manual.
          Patience