Re: Modernage ZZ: Anyone recognize this?

  • smallboatexplorer
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 15, 2006
      Let's see what else we hear.

      Chandlers are very seldom bad machines, but sometimes hard to
      identify. I think a number were US assembled with mixed parts to
      qualify as 'US origin' for government contracts. Others are obvious
      rebadging.

      Thanks,

      RWC

      --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Ron"
      <rjkgroups@c...> wrote:

      > Bob, I am working on a machine that sounds almost identical, though
      this was
      > ignored for decades and there is a stiff spot I am trying to find in
      the zz
      > path. I also found BB in the zz raceway. Mine is badged Miracle and
      had a
      > 1/20 hp US motor (going to be late for work, no time right now to do the
      > conversion, and running on too little sleep to remember the formula
      right
      > now LOL).
      >
      > P.S. I have done a bit of hot air balloon repair practice on an old
      > Chandler, also a Japanese machine (commercial). It was very nice to use.
      >
      > Ron

      Brother sewing
      > machine accessory

      > Service.

      > --

    • Bill Holman
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2006
        "I just picked up a machine labelled 'Modernage' with a separate Model
        900 sticker. Stamped JA-39 in the serial number area."

        In the Group Files, Ed has a folder for JA #s, in which JA-39 shows up
        as one of the Kenmores. Therefore, it is altogether possible that this
        could be the JA # of Maruzen (now Jaguar) which Sears used for a lot
        of there old machines.

        Bill Holman
      • smallboatexplorer
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 15, 2006
          I had seen that, and it prompted me to look at several old 158.xxx
          Kenmores. If they have a JA-XX marking, they must be hiding behind
          the Sears serial number labels. Haven't chipped one off to look, yet....

          Bob Cavenagh

          --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Holman"
          <wghmch@c...> wrote:

          > "I just picked up a machine labelled 'Modernage' with a separate Model
          > 900 sticker. Stamped JA-39 in the serial number area."
          >
          > In the Group Files, Ed has a folder for JA #s, in which JA-39 shows up
          > as one of the Kenmores. Therefore, it is altogether possible that this
          > could be the JA # of Maruzen (now Jaguar) which Sears used for a lot
          > of there old machines.
          >
          > Bill Holman

        • marolsh
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 16, 2006
            Bob, I doubt you'll have to chip off the label. Many machines have the JA # stamped or cast
            into the underside of the machine bed.

            Maria

            > I had seen that, and it prompted me to look at several old 158.xxx
            > Kenmores. If they have a JA-XX marking, they must be hiding behind
            > the Sears serial number labels. Haven't chipped one off to look, yet....
            >
            > Bob Cavenagh
            >

            > > "I just picked up a machine labelled 'Modernage' with a separate Model
            > > 900 sticker. Stamped JA-39 in the serial number area."
            > >
            > > In the Group Files, Ed has a folder for JA #s, in which JA-39 shows up
            > > as one of the Kenmores. Therefore, it is altogether possible that this
            > > could be the JA # of Maruzen (now Jaguar) which Sears used for a lot
            > > of there old machines.
            > >
            > > Bill Holman
          • smallboatexplorer
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 16, 2006
              Thanks Maria.

              I've been told that some base castings for common machines were
              sourced from other companies in the early days of Japanese postwar
              manufacturing, and that I should look for the STAMPED JA label, if one
              exists, as the cast number could indentify the foundry.

              This whole JA business intrigues me. A number of Kenmore machines
              don't seem to have visible labels. In theory the early Kenmores
              should be either 148.xx (Soryu) or 158.xx (Maruzen/Jaguar), and so
              there should be just two JA numbers. I have one 158.xx Kenmore that
              does have a JA-4 stamped into it.

              I also have two earlyish Riccars each stamped JA-3 + JC-4. I am not
              sure what that JC number represents.

              Who WAS Soryu, anyway? Can't find much info, though Jaguar is easily
              tracked down.

              Should we all pool resources to build up the JA-X list?

              Best,

              Bob Cavenagh

              --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "marolsh"