Re: JC Pennys sewing machine

  • Jeffrey
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
      I have Access to a 6950 and put up some photos of the plug and machine. It looks like it could of been made by White or New Home in Taiwain. The 5 prong plug is a newer configuration, but not very unusual. I don't have an extra, but they it shouldn't be hard to find. Just do some Googling and cross check the bigger companies.

      Jeff

      --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, Zorba <ZORBA@...> wrote:

      > On Dec 30, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Roy Abel wrote:
      >
      > > The only trouble is the plug going to the machine is a strange
      > > looking one. I could just take a foot control and plug off of anothe
      > > machine if not for that strange little plug.
      >
      > A lurker de-cloaks...
      >
      > You might try this guy:
      >
      > http://www.statewidesewing.com/
      >
      > Who has all kinds of oddball stuff, including a bunch of cords and
      > controllers. No indexing or anything
      > on this website - just keep scrolling until you find the cords/
      > controllers. He also says to email him
      > a picture if you don't see what you need, he has lots of un-pictured
      > inventory, blah, blah, blah...
      >
      > -Zorba
      > Your computer problems shouldn't hurt...
      > Call the guy in the skirt!

    • Jeffrey
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
        I posted pictures of the 6950 that I have access to in my Jeff in Phoenix folder. They can be accessed through the New photo link.

        Jeff

        --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, Zorba <ZORBA@...> wrote:

        > On Dec 30, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Roy Abel wrote:
        >
        > > The only trouble is the plug going to the machine is a strange
        > > looking one. I could just take a foot control and plug off of anothe
        > > machine if not for that strange little plug.
        >
        > A lurker de-cloaks...
        >
        > You might try this guy:
        >
        > http://www.statewidesewing.com/
        >
        > Who has all kinds of oddball stuff, including a bunch of cords and
        > controllers. No indexing or anything
        > on this website - just keep scrolling until you find the cords/
        > controllers. He also says to email him
        > a picture if you don't see what you need, he has lots of un-pictured
        > inventory, blah, blah, blah...
        >
        > -Zorba
        > Your computer problems shouldn't hurt...
        > Call the guy in the skirt!

      • Bill Holman
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
          "I have found out from JC Penny's that their machine 6950 was made by Nelco."

          Poppycock! Nelco was just an importer/distributor, and never even came close to making a sewing machine. Your cord is generic. I have uploaded a page to my folder in the Group Files that shows many generic cords along with many branded ones. There is a very good chance that you may recognize yours. If it's not there, it's because it is from a later date than this old page that I have, and a good shop should still be able to get it for you.

          Bill Holman
        • Jeffrey
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
            I have a feeling Nelco is being a middle man for the Taiwan company that makes Necchi. Right now I have access to a 6903, 6930, 6950, and 6976. I posted a picture of the 6950. Looking at pictures of New Home's, White's, and Necchi's they are very close.

            Jeff

            --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Holman" <wghmch@...> wrote:

            > "I have found out from JC Penny's that their machine 6950 was made by Nelco."
            >
            > Poppycock! Nelco was just an importer/distributor, and never even came close to making a sewing machine. Your cord is generic. I have uploaded a page to my folder in the Group Files that shows many generic cords along with many branded ones. There is a very good chance that you may recognize yours. If it's not there, it's because it is from a later date than this old page that I have, and a good shop should still be able to get it for you.
            >
            > Bill Holman

          • Susan Juara
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 31, 2009
              On Fri, 1/1/10, Bill Holman <wghmch@...> wrote:
              I have uploaded a page to my folder in the Group Files
              **********************
              Bill: Thanks for this info, I been looking for it online, but never found one so compleat.
              One more SM saver for us that need tons of help.
              Thanks again.
              Susan in South Carolina.

              Ode to those that died for us and others: So here's to departed brothers, may they rest in peace. There is no glory in war, only survivors.
              Treasure their memory, even if they were consider our enemies.

            • annamae319aolcom
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 1, 2010
                --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey" <jpmotis@...> wrote:

                > I have Access to a 6950 and put up some photos of the plug and machine. It looks like it could of been made by White or New Home in Taiwain. The 5 prong plug is a newer configuration, but not very unusual. I don't have an extra, but they it shouldn't be hard to find. Just do some Googling and cross check the bigger companies.

                Looked at your pictures of machines. Great Job. Yes you have a picture of the Penny's machine and its plug. That is not a plug I have seen before. Am sure there are a lot of those.
                Will be a while before I get into town to see if I can find one.
                Have you used the machine? Is it really worth a new cord? I also will need the manual if I get this one to work. Have not worried about manual up to now. I hate to put money into a machine that is not worth carrying home. I do have another machine also not working.
                Thanks so much to all who have helped.
                Anna Mae
              • yaelsauzedde
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 2, 2010
                  --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Roy Abel" <annamae319@...> wrote:

                  > The only trouble is the plug going to the machine is a strange looking one. I could just take a foot control and plug off of another machine if not for that strange little plug.

                  I just made a plug for an old Kenmore someone gave me, which came without foot pedal or cords.

                  I took some electrical cord with 2 conductors (old extension cord), a foot pedal with a rheostat from an old wrecked SM, and 3 blue crimp type wire splices.
                  My Kenmore has 3 pins to which I connected the crimp splices, which I modified slightly to fit and attached to the wire ends, going to the power supply and the foot pedal.
                  I figured out which wires had to go where by using my multi-meter, a borrowed Kenmore foot pedal hookup as an example, and some trial and error.
                  I could have saved that step if I had had a wiring diagram.

                  Once I had all the correct terminals and wires connected to the appropriate pins on the machine, I wrapped the terminals and about 4 inches of wire coming out of them in electrical tape.
                  Now I have a homemade plug which works good so far.

                  The hardest part was getting the old dust bunnies out of the ancient rheostat.

                  Yael
                • Jeffrey
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2010
                    This has 5 prongs in a w pattern. I'm guessing the bottom 3 are for the foot controller and the top 2 are power. If you were to improvise, stacking a power cord on a controller cord would be a very likely approach.

                    Jeff

                    --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "yaelsauzedde" <yaelsauzedde@...> wrote:

                    > I just made a plug for an old Kenmore someone gave me, which came without foot pedal or cords.
                    >
                    > I took some electrical cord with 2 conductors (old extension cord), a foot pedal with a rheostat from an old wrecked SM, and 3 blue crimp type wire splices.
                    > My Kenmore has 3 pins to which I connected the crimp splices, which I modified slightly to fit and attached to the wire ends, going to the power supply and the foot pedal.
                    > I figured out which wires had to go where by using my multi-meter, a borrowed Kenmore foot pedal hookup as an example, and some trial and error.
                    > I could have saved that step if I had had a wiring diagram.
                    >
                    > Once I had all the correct terminals and wires connected to the appropriate pins on the machine, I wrapped the terminals and about 4 inches of wire coming out of them in electrical tape.
                    > Now I have a homemade plug which works good so far.
                    >
                    > The hardest part was getting the old dust bunnies out of the ancient rheostat.
                    >
                    > Yael

                  • Susan Small
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 4, 2010
                      http://www.archive.org/details/Patternf1948

                      This is an online almost 20 minute 1948 film from Simplicity. Fun