Re: Looking for info on New Home 450 JA2

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 23 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hi,
      Japanese machines of the late 60's were generally quite similar.
      Very often machines came with generic manuals . Does this machine have
      any features/functions that are unusual?
      The last guide that the tread touches befoe the bobbin winder
      usually has a slotted hole to adjust it for proper winding. Unless the
      machine is very unusual it would taake a class 15 if hook is vertical
      or a 66 if horizontal.
      Kathy
    • farracrs
      Message 2 of 23 , Jan 4, 2006
        I posted 3 pictures of the machine in album labeled Gayle in Canada.

        If you look at the winder compartment there is only the one disk type
        thread guide on the lid of the compartment.
        Neat machine though eh?
      • Terry&Debbie
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 4, 2006
          --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, farracrs
          <farracrs@r...> wrote:

          > I posted 3 pictures of the machine in album labeled Gayle in Canada.
          >
          > If you look at the winder compartment there is only the one disk
          type
          > thread guide on the lid of the compartment.
          Neat machine though eh?

          Yep! It is! That seams to have been the style of bobbin winder for
          Japanese machines of that era. One of the vintage Kenmores has the
          same thing. Debbie in Sask

        • farracrs
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 4, 2006

            >That seams to have been the style of bobbin winder for
            >Japanese machines of that era.

            I just can' t seem to wind an even bobbin. The thread piles up at the
            top of the bobbin. No other thread guide though so I guess that's it.
            I did get a good one by pushing down on the thread as it wound. Should
            be something else though don't you think?

            Any one have a generic manual? Also what feet would have come with this
            machine? I am trying to put together a kit for him
          • Bill Holman
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 4, 2006
              Gayle,

              I remember the 701 that had the same configuration. As I recall, you
              usually needed to kind of apply a slight downward pressure on the door
              to keep it "wide open" while it was winding. Not a great design, but
              as you indicated, really no big deal.

              Bill Holman
            • Hazel Norquay
              Message 6 of 23 , Jan 5, 2006
                Hi Gayle,
                It was not until I looked at your photos that I realised that I have your machine's cousin.  I call it my Star Trek Sewing Machine - and I have the Instruction book for it.  Mine has three dials across the front, the first has built in stitches, the second is the buttonhole dial and the third the zigzag width dial.  I think it is probably the best stitch of all the pattern stitching machines I have - though I haven't tried my 401 yet.

                If I can be of any help please let me know and I will type out the sections of the IB you may need.

                It's a bit far to bring a copy to you......LOL

                farracrs <farracrs@...> wrote:
                I posted 3 pictures of the machine in album labeled Gayle in Canada.

                If you look at the winder compartment there is only the one disk type
                thread guide on the lid of the compartment.
                Neat machine though eh?

                Hazel N
                Toowoomba - Garden City
                Queensland Australia

              • Hazel Norquay

                  Message 8 of 23 , Jan 5, 2006

                    >As I recall, you
                    >usually needed to kind of apply a slight downward pressure on the door
                    >to keep it "wide open" while it was winding.

                    I will tell Dwayne to try that. I always adjust at the bobbin end by
                    manipulating the thread. The lid is quite upright in this one
                    so maybe just a bit of pressure to lower it will be better. Thanks Bill.
                  • farracrs
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jan 18, 2006

                      > If I can be of any help please let me know and I will type out the
                      > sections of the IB you may need.

                      Thanks Hazel:
                      Taken some time to get back to this machine but now we are ready to
                      ship. If you could scan the threading diagrams and those of how the
                      dial work I think Scotty could figure out the rest.

                      I agree it would be a long way to bring the manual, but be assured there
                      would be tea and biscuits for you when you got here.

                      Gayle in Canada
                    • hazric2000
                      Message 10 of 23 , Jan 21, 2006
                        Hi Gayle in Canada,
                        Just catching up with emails and digests tonight after being away a
                        night, they certainly mount up if you miss a session.

                        Although I have had the scanner as long as this computer I have very
                        little knowledge on how to work it. But tomorrow I will sit down and
                        play with it and try to scan the relevant pages. I would assume that
                        I scan the pages, put them in a document then use this document as an
                        attachment. The instruction book, if it ever had one got lost when I
                        leant the scanner to my daughter.

                        Will try and do tomorrow when I am more awake. In the meantime the
                        threading is the pretty universal one. Goes first to the threadguide
                        on top near the takeup lever, then across to the thread guide about
                        an 1" to the right of that, then around the tension from right to
                        left and in the tension thread guard going up the the take up lever
                        (of course pulling down the loop of the take up spring. Then down
                        thru the threadguides (3) and into the needle front to back.

                        Mine has the four dials on the front (the left one has the built in
                        stitches, if I remember rightly yours had three. Are they Bottonhole
                        dial, zigzag width dial and stitch length dial? so I know the
                        correct page to send.

                        Hazel
                        Toowoomba
                        Queensland, Australia

                        <farracrs@r...> wrote:

                        > > If I can be of any help please let me know and I will type out
                        the
                        > > sections of the IB you may need.
                        > >

                        > Thanks Hazel:
                        > Taken some time to get back to this machine but now we are ready to
                        > ship. If you could scan the threading diagrams and those of how
                        the
                        > dial work I think Scotty could figure out the rest.
                        >
                        > I agree it would be a long way to bring the manual, but be assured
                        there
                        > would be tea and biscuits for you when you got here.
                        >

                        > Gayle in Canada

                      • Bill Holman
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jan 21, 2006
                          Hi Hazel,

                          I know that Gayle & her DH had to go quite a distance to a funeral,
                          and planned to be away for a few days. Regarding the scanner, the
                          trick is what form you put the documents into as you scan them.
                          Ideally, it works out best to put them into PDF, but most people don't
                          have the Adobe Acrobat WRITER or another similar program to do that.
                          As a result, if you don't have a PDF writer, you're probably best off
                          to just scan them into JPGs and separate pages, and let somebody else
                          convert them to PDF if they want to.

                          Bill Holman
                        • Debbie Lauzon
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jan 21, 2006
                            Bill, there is a free writer (not Adobe) that works extremely well. it is http://www.primopdf.com. What it does it sets up a second printer on your computer. What I do is scan my pics, and Paste them into Microisoft word
                            When I am done, I go to Print and select primopdf as my printer, and it creates a PDF document for me which can be read in Adobe. Debbie

                            Bill Holman <wghmch@...> wrote:
                            Hi Hazel,

                            I know that Gayle & her DH had to go quite a distance to a funeral,
                            and planned to be away for a few days. Regarding the scanner, the
                            trick is what form you put the documents into as you scan them.
                            Ideally, it works out best to put them into PDF, but most people don't
                            have the Adobe Acrobat WRITER or another similar program to do that.
                            As a result, if you don't have a PDF writer, you're probably best off
                            to just scan them into JPGs and separate pages, and let somebody else
                            convert them to PDF if they want to.

                            Bill Holman

                            http://community.webshots.com/album/402349021rkUApd

                          • Bill Holman
                            Message 13 of 23 , Jan 21, 2006
                              Debbie,

                              That is indeed a viable alternative. For some reason, most of the PDF
                              files created in the free writers end up being larger than those
                              created in Acrobat, but they are surely better than not having one at
                              all. When you use the Acrobat Writer, it works the same way that you
                              described, except the printer is shown as an "Acrobat Distiller." I
                              create almost all of these documents in MSF Publisher and then print
                              them into Acrobat.

                              Bill Holman
                            • Ron
                              Message 14 of 23 , Jan 21, 2006
                                I have never checked the file size, but I use OpenOffice a lot. It will save to a PDF. If you or a friend have broadband, you can get it here:

                                The menus are a bit different from Microsoft, but not hard to figure out. The Presentation program will save as a PowerPoint, and when I use the presentation at work, can't tell the difference.

                                Ron

                                Message 15 of 23 , Jan 22, 2006
                                • farracrs
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Feb 11, 2006
                                    Is a JA designation always a New Home/janome? I have a JA2 that says
                                    New Home but also a JA1 that is a Deluxe ZZ and have seen one of those
                                    'Industrial Strength' listings for a JA18......
                                    thanks
                                  • Maria
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Feb 12, 2006
                                      No, I think each factory had its own designation. I have a Kenmore
                                      marked JA-22 that Sears said was made by Soryu Company. I guess every
                                      unit had to be marked with country of origin, like all foreign-made
                                      products, and they went further and marked by manufacturer. Too bad
                                      they didn't give us a key to their code.

                                      Maria in NE PA

                                      > Is a JA designation always a New Home/janome? I have a JA2 that says
                                      > New Home but also a JA1 that is a Deluxe ZZ and have seen one of those
                                      > 'Industrial Strength' listings for a JA18......
                                      > thanks
                                    • Bill Holman
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Feb 12, 2006
                                        Gayle,

                                        Are you aware of Ed's document in this Group's files where he has
                                        tried to put together a list of the JA#s, and is asking for input?

                                        Bill Holman
                                      • farracrs
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Feb 12, 2006
                                          Thanks Bill I was not aware of that document. Will go have a look
                                          after I get back from town.

                                          Going up to the Sarnia Ship repair docks to see if Ron can get a job
                                          on spark watch.....boring but good money if he can stay awake.