Remington

  • deenaflanigan
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
      Was given a new machine today. It is a "Remington" Deluxe Precision CB sewing machine. Underside has JA40 78512 JC 33.
      Turquoise metallic, Motor is "reliable".

      Anyone recognize it? Thanks in advance.
    • Bill Holman
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 7, 2009
        Not enough info to know for sure, but look in the Group Files for the generic HA-1 IB and see if you recognize it.

        Bill Holman
      • Suzanne Johnson
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 7, 2009
          I hope you 'ran him off' at 0230!  Might have room rented.  Guy coming by before dark and I'm working at getting it ready.

          John 3:16

          Not enough info to know for sure, but look in the Group Files for the generic HA-1 IB and see if you recognize it.

          Bill Holman

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 8, 2009
            Go to the group messages page and do a search on "Remington"

            19 messages with information.

            Ron

            --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "deenaflanigan" <dflani@...> wrote:

            > Was given a new machine today. It is a "Remington" Deluxe Precision CB sewing machine. Underside has JA40 78512 JC 33.
            > Turquoise metallic, Motor is "reliable".
            >
            > Anyone recognize it? Thanks in advance.

          • Wm G
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 9, 2009
              deenaflanigan wrote:
              > Was given a new machine today. It is a "Remington" Deluxe Precision CB sewing machine. Underside has JA40 78512 JC 33.
              > Turquoise metallic, Motor is "reliable".
              >
              > Anyone recognize it? Thanks in advance.

              Like this?
              http://brotherwilliam.com/stuff/treadleon/Remington/images/DSC06738.JPG

              brother william
            • Deena Flanigan
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 9, 2009
                Brother William, this looks like a younger brother to mine. I have been
                stymied since I picked up my six new old machines Saturday to have a chance
                to photograph or clean them at all. And I have obligations the rest of the
                week......will get pictures up early next week Lord willing. Thanks for
                sharing. PS what numbers/letters are on yours?

                Sew on and sew forth,
                Deena Flanigan (Ark.)
                http://community.webshots.com/user/dflani
              • Wm G
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 10, 2009
                  Deena Flanigan wrote:
                  > Brother William, this looks like a younger brother to mine. I have been
                  > stymied since I picked up my six new old machines Saturday to have a chance
                  > to photograph or clean them at all. And I have obligations the rest of the
                  > week......will get pictures up early next week Lord willing. Thanks for
                  > sharing. PS what numbers/letters are on yours?
                  >
                  > Sew on and sew forth,
                  > Deena Flanigan (Ark.)
                  > http://community.webshots.com/user/dflani

                  It says "TOYOTA" "HA0003" in the bottom casting, has "Mod R-15L" (SN
                  36910) on a pined tag on the front edge and "85 SUPER DELUXE PRECISION
                  MANUFACTURED MADE IN JAPAN" on the badge.

                  There is a sticker decal, that says"APPROVED DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING AND
                  SAFETY" in the center it says: "CITY OF LOS ANGELES FOUNDED 1781".

                  It weighs a bit more than any other machine I have except the full size
                  e-machine National Two Spool. (not a scientific measurement, but I have
                  to heft and dust them..)

                  brother william
                • Ron
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 11, 2009
                    Been a lot of debate if Morse were made by Toyota or simply cast by one of many Toyota subsidies and then assembled by then "Morse Company" as Japanese manufacturing is many, many Mom and Pop machine shops and why there tends to be a large adjustment range to overcome tolerance stack (when say +/- .005 X 10 adjustment points and all end up "+" equals inability to get something in final tolerance). Good to have some evidence that Toyota made castings for more then Morse. Morse are heavy as heck too. Deena, it would be interesting to know if yours has a Toyota casting mark. Bill Eaton believed Morse to be badged though I have heard of many with the Toyota casting mark. I once saw a Japanese sewing machine history offered, but the price was well over $2K if I remember correctly.

                    I did public property management for many years, the sticker sounds to me like one that would be used by the City of LA, perhaps the machine was used by Fire Department for minor repairs.

                    Ron

                    <Snip> It says "TOYOTA" "HA0003" in the bottom casting, has "Mod R-15L" (SN 36910) on a pined tag on the front edge and "85 SUPER DELUXE PRECISION MANUFACTURED MADE IN JAPAN" on the badge.

                    > There is a sticker decal, that says "APPROVED DEPARTMENT OF BUILDING AND SAFETY" in the center it says: "CITY OF LOS ANGELES FOUNDED 1781".
                    >
                    > It weighs a bit more than any other machine I have except the full size e-machine National Two Spool. (not a scientific measurement, but I have to heft and dust them..)
                    >
                    > brother william

                  • Deena Flanigan
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 15, 2009
                      I finally got the head out of the cabinet and looked for a mold mark. At
                      first, it looked like a greek letter, I think "sigma", like an "E" but then
                      looking at it from the end, perhaps an "M" but only about 3/8" tall. So
                      perhaps a Morse.

                      Never seen so much lint packed in a machine! But it unfroze much quicker
                      than I thought and the bits of rust here and there came right off. Still
                      have to polish and clean the light, which is mounted with the inspection
                      plate, and figure out if the motor is usable. I had never seen a hook
                      retaining ring with a hinge on it - neat idea. The feed dog lowering
                      linkage was frozen but now working too. All in all a nice machine and I may
                      try it in my treadle irons if the belt will fit without trimming as I don't
                      have a spare belt. Loading pictures soon.