RE: [vintagejapansewingmachines] Digest Number 769

  • Pamela Woodruff
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
      Thank you Jeff, this is new to me....I hadn't even looked at National. So for a while National was "making" New Home, via a factory in Germany...?

      What are the differences between an "NLB" and "ALB"? I've seen files with those names and some discussion back and forth about whether a particular machine was one or the other, but I didn't think I had a National so I wasn't paying attention during that part of class. :-)

      I'll check out the files in the National group -- LOL, one of the few I haven't joined yet in trying to track this machine's identity/origins/manual & parts down!

      Thank you...only slightly confused now!

      Pam Woodruff
      rio rancho, nm

    • Randy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi Pam,
        National did not have a connection to your German made JZ. National made 3/4 size long shuttle machines for the Free Sewing Machine Company to sell as Free Westinghouse and New Home. The models NLB and ALB are Free made full size rotary machines.
        It appears that after National and Free merged into a new company, a German sewing machine producer was contracted to furnish a zig zag machine and it was designated model JZ and badged with New Home and Free Westinghouse names. National had designed it's own zig zag machine before the merger but it was evidently discontinued shorty after production began when the merger took place.
        There is very little known about the model JZ machines. It would be interesting to find out what German manufacturer made them but that history may be lost for good.

        Randy in PDX

      • Jeff
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
          Mostly one starts with an N and the other an A. Like car companies, sewing machine companpies acquired each other and sold under different names. Some had over 200 names. Say Stan's Hardware in Akron wanted to sell a machine with their name on it. They'd go to a badge company buy the machines and put their name on it. Several small chain stores did this. That's why a lot of Japaneese models say things like super deluxe and precision. The store could easily set it up as a generic. Here's some more places to add to your confusion.

          ISMACS

          http://www.ismacs.net/home.html

          Needlebar

          http://needlebar.org/main/index.html

          Jeff

        • Eric
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2009
            > What are the differences between an "NLB" and "ALB"?

            > >If im not mistaken the difference is one is alloy for portable and one is cast iron for a cabinet
            I have both types but dont remember which is which

            Eric

          • Eric
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2, 2009
              --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ktm4002002@...> wrote:

              > > What are the differences between an "NLB" and "ALB"?
              >

              > > >If im not mistaken the difference is one is alloy for portable and one is cast iron for a cabinet
              > I have both types but dont remember which is which
              >
              > Eric

              Correction
              an NLB is a new Home alloy case
              An ALB is a Free Westinghouse alloy case
              An NHR is a New Home cast iron

              Eric