needle bar thread guide

  • starfrog_24
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 28, 2009
      I have a brother 1241 and it is missing it's needle bar thread guide.
      I'm not having any luck locating this part. Any advice?
      Thanks,
      Jessica
    • Wm G
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
        It looks like from the meager pictures I have seen that it is an
        integral part of the needle clamp?
        If it were me, I would take a spring out of a pen and unwrap the
        MIDDLE of it just enough to make it look like two tubes beside each
        other offset, then take ONE half of that and work it around the
        needlebar enough to make it hold, then unwrap (open) the loops on the
        other part just enough to allow the thread to wind through it.
        If I remember, I will draw an example, scan and post it when I get home.

        brother william

        On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM, starfrog_24 <starfrog72@...> wrote:
        > I have a brother 1241 and it is missing it's needle bar thread guide.
        > I'm not having any luck locating this part. Any advice?
        > Thanks,
        > Jessica

      • Bill Holman
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 1, 2009
          Jessica,

          It IS easy to fabricate one that will work just fine. All that is
          important is that it guide the thread toward the long groove in the
          needle. In most cases, you can take a wire one that has a pig tail
          loop on the end, that was probably intended for a common HA-1, and
          using a pair of long nose pliers, reshape it to work. They are usually
          mounted by the head of the same screw that acts as the needle stop, to
          position the needle height. From the head of the screw, the wire
          snakes around the bar so that the pig tail is in position on the other
          side.

          Bill Holman
        • starfrog_24
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
            Bill,
            Could I use a Singer Class 15 thread guide?

            Jessica

            > Jessica,
            >
            > It IS easy to fabricate one that will work just fine. All that is
            > important is that it guide the thread toward the long groove in the
            > needle. In most cases, you can take a wire one that has a pig tail
            > loop on the end, that was probably intended for a common HA-1, and
            > using a pair of long nose pliers, reshape it to work. They are usually
            > mounted by the head of the same screw that acts as the needle stop, to
            > position the needle height. From the head of the screw, the wire
            > snakes around the bar so that the pig tail is in position on the other
            > side.
            >
            > Bill Holman

          • Bill Holman
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 2, 2009
              "Could I use a Singer Class 15 thread guide?"

              You can use anything that will accomplish the act of guiding the
              thread correctly, Jessica. The advantage of the ones for the Japanese
              machines is that they are easier to reform and they already have the
              pigtail end.

              Bill Holman