Atlas Pink Zig-Zag sewing machine

  • gaff093alma277
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
      Hello Group!
      I am so happy to have found this group! I am a very happy owner of a
      wonderful Stitchmaster so much so that I wanted another. I found a Pink
      Zig zag Atlas sewing machine. It needs love and work, and I am up for
      the challenge.
      I was wondering if anyone can look at the photo and give me some clues
      as where to start. I am guessing this is s rotary hook and I can use a
      class 15 bobbin case and bobbins. WHat about the opening up top... does
      that have the capasity for cams?? Can anyone also help me find the
      missing slide plate. I have looked but I don't really know the model
      number and don't know what size...
      Thank you for any info.
      I appreciate your time
      Terri
    • marolsh
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008
        Hello Terri!
        Your Atlas is a beauty! The slide plate should be a standard 15-class
        type, and any good sewing shop can get you one. The same size plate
        can fit a 1913 Singer, a 1950s Brother and a 1960s Riccar.

        I believe you're right about it being a 15-class machine, and if you
        turn the handwheel and watch the hook, you'll see whether it's a
        rotary or oscillator.

        Flip up the lid on the top; if it has a spindle underneath, it takes
        cams. As for type and size, I can't help there. Maybe someone here has
        pix of Atlas cams if there are such.

        Maria in NE PA

        > Hello Group!
        > I found a Pink Zig zag Atlas sewing machine. It needs love and work,
        > and I am up for the challenge.
        > I was wondering if anyone can look at the photo and give me some clues
        > as where to start. I am guessing this is s rotary hook and I can use a
        > class 15 bobbin case and bobbins. WHat about the opening up top... does
        > that have the capasity for cams?? Can anyone also help me find the
        > missing slide plate. I have looked but I don't really know the model
        > number and don't know what size...
        > Thank you for any info.
        > I appreciate your time
        > Terri

      • gaff093alma277
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2008
          Well, Thank you!
          I haven't seen her in person yet and the picture I have make her look
          very dirty. SO I want to make her a beauty.
          Thanks for helping me id her size so I can be on the look out for
          missing parts. I know the bobbin case and slide plate, and most like
          I'll need new belts and I'll want to re-wire for safety... so I have
          some work cut out for me.
          I really had a fun time taking apart my treadle and then rebuilding
          her. The timing was tricky, but I got lucky and she's a beauty. That
          was only a straight stitch... this zig-zag will be a puzzle if it needs
          lots of work.... I can't wait!
          Thanks for your help!
          Terri