Hi! New Member! Sewmor

  • sharai4sca
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25, 2008
      I have a Japanese "Sewmor Zigzag Sewing Machine Deluxe". I replaced
      the belt, had the cord fixed, and figured out how to thread it. I
      sewed a pillow case on it today, using only the straight stitch. I
      have not played with it enough to figure it all out. Does anyone else
      have anything like this? I don't have a photo yet, but I can post one
      later. I would like to find a manual. I have not found the model
      number. Is there a standard place to find the model number or does
      that vary?

      I have several machines in my collection. I am just beginning to get
      them in running conditon. I intend to use all of them. Are there any
      old machines that should not be used?

      Thank you!
      Shara
    • Ron
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2008
        Welcome!
        I have a Japanese "Sewmor Zigzag Sewing Machine Deluxe".
        <Snip>
        I would like to find a manual. I have not found the model number. Is
        there a standard place to find the model number or does that vary?
        No standard place, and it wouldn't matter much as the machines were
        often "Badged" with a different name for who ever was selling them and
        there are only the skimpiest of records on what companies produced
        machines. There is a small list in the group files. For a manual check
        with Linda at:

        http://wwww.sewing-machine-manuals.com if you don't find it listed or
        a picture that matches (because the name may be different) ask her as
        she has many not yet scanned in. Very reasonable prices and
        professionally scanned.

        I have several machines in my collection. I am just beginning to get
        them in running conditon. I intend to use all of them. Are there any
        old machines that should not be used?
        Nope.

        Thank you!
        Shara
        You are welcome.

        Ron
      • McKenna Linn
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 28, 2008
          On 10/28/08 5:50 AM, Shara wrote:

          > ... Are there any
          > old machines that should not be used?

          Hi, Shara, glad to have you with us. One big thing to beware of with old
          machines is the wiring. If it's cracked, brittle, bare wire exposed, etc.,
          you should rewire it before using.

          McKenna Linn
          http://www.mckennalinn.com
          http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine.com
          http://www.necchilady.com
        • Lynn Johnson
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 29, 2008
            Hi Shara, I don't have a sewmoor machine but I saw a couple this week on the auction site and thought they looked really cool. I don't know a thing about them either so hope you get an answer to your questions. Hope it does a good job, I may find one in my future. What color is yours? Lynn in wa.
          • sharai4sca
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 29, 2008
              Thank you Ron and Linn!
              I will post some photos of my collection soon.

              --
            • sharai4sca
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 11, 2008
                Mine is black in a nice wood cabinet. I just posted a picture under s
                Machines in the photos if you want to see it! It is not a high
                resolution photo, though. I find my machines outrageously cheap!
                Unless there is something I think is truly unusual, I don't pay more
                than 20 dollars for them. One of them that I use a lot I only paid 2
                dollars for. I need to take photos of the others and get them posted.

                --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Lynn Johnson"

                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 11, 2008
                  Shara, that is a nice looking machine and not the model I have seen before. Cool, I really like that style of machine. We never find cheap machines, you are very lucky. We live in a very unpopulated area so don't have much to choose from and they are usually much more expensive. The cheapies I've seen are junk. Lynn in wa.
                • Bob Cavenagh
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 11, 2008
                    --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "sharai4sca"
                    <sharai4sca@...> wrote:

                    > I have a Japanese "Sewmor Zigzag Sewing Machine Deluxe."

                    Hi Shara,

                    If my memory serves, Sewmor was a brand name used by the OLD Consew
                    operation before they became a sales name for mostly Japanese
                    industrial machines. I've seen machines from more than one make ("j-a
                    and J-c numbers")

                    I have a machine similar to yours, but with the 'Modernage' label, and
                    a similar Sewmor in green. By the detailing I suspect yours is just a
                    bit older. The machine is a relatively faithful clone of the early
                    Necchi BU. My two have some variations in the cover, and in external
                    details. I am quite fond of them.

                    Bob Cavenagh