Re: Sewmor machines

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 11 , Sep 24, 2008
      eBay can be used as source for perceived value in the market. In the
      sewing machine catagories can give you an idea of what search for. I
      recently purchased a 100% complete Singer 15 clone (which your
      probably is too) off Craig's list for $10. It took me about three
      hours to get it running.

      Ron

      --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Holman"
      <wghmch@...> wrote:

      > "I have a Sewmor 620 in working condition and very clean....Does
      > anybody know where I might find out it's worth?"
      >
      > First you will have to weigh it, before you calculate the "value."
      >
      > Really, what something is "worth" is what someone else will pay you
      for
      > it. The Japanese machines are a "dime a dozen," because they are so
      > plentiful. What it is "worth" to you could be decided by
      sentimental
      > value or by what it can do for you, but that will have no affect on
      > what someone else would give you for it.
      >
      > Bill Holman

    • Helen
      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
        Stacey
        I hope you are still around.
        In the year 2000 I bought a $99.95 Brother from Wal-Mart.
        The speed on it is waaaaaaaaay to fast I cannot slow it down. It is not
        fixable!. Every time I used it I said very bad words. When I started
        quilting In Jan 2007 I realized that machine was really a piece of junk
        to me, and got serious about looking for something better. I found a
        $15. Japanese made sewing machine that is perfect. It speeds up & slows
        down. Even zig-zags & has cams. Besides that is it cute, and even is in
        a desk. I love it! We went to a quilt show on Saturday & they had an
        old hand cramk there. It sewed like a dream. DH & I both loved it. I
        would have been better off buying a hand crank than that $99.95
        electric junk.
        You wanna trade even up?
        Helen
        P.S the brother does not have cams.

      • McKenna Linn
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
          On 9/25/08 7:41 AM, Di in TN wrote:

          > I usually pick up clones at thrift stores and flea markets - least amount?
          > Free. Most amount? $10

          I feel compelled to point out that Di is a cheapskate ;-) Seriously, she
          gets machines for prices I rarely see in my neck-o-the-woods, which is great
          for her, but may not be the norm where everyone lives. Personally, I see
          clones for sale at thrifts and fleas in the $10 to $35 range, most often for
          $25.

          McKenna Linn
          http://www.mckennalinn.com
          http://www.grandmotherssewingmachine.com
          http://www.necchilady.com
        • Rowe Leathers
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 25, 2008
            I agree with Ron. I picked up a Singer 15 clone White sewing machine at a
            yard sale for $5. Originally she was asking $20. As I asked her more and
            more about the machine and it's function, it became less and less valuable.
            She offered $10. I asked about a manual or if one can be had online, she
            said she didn't know where to even look (I have since found a manual
            here:). I offered $5 and she jumped on it just to get the machine off her
            hands.

            The machine was clean, functioning and I'd say in excellent condition.

            On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Ron <peter.pilot@...> wrote:

            > eBay can be used as source for perceived value in the market. In the
            > sewing machine catagories can give you an idea of what search for. I
            > recently purchased a 100% complete Singer 15 clone (which your
            > probably is too) off Craig's list for $10. It took me about three
            > hours to get it running.
            >
            > Ron
            >
            > -
            > .

          • coleman482001
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 26, 2008

              > > I usually pick up clones at thrift stores and flea markets - least
              amount?
              > > Free. Most amount? $10
              >
              > I feel compelled to point out that Di is a cheapskate ;-)

              She's not the only one! But one key to a good deal is patience and
              education, so when you see a good deal, jump on it. If you are
              selling, add value to what you have -- accessories, clean machine,
              oiled, IB, etc.

              My 2 cents (see how cheap I am?) Becky in MN
            • The Walter Family
              Message 6 of 11 , Sep 28, 2008
                Unfortunately, the thrift stores in our town sell their machines for
                25-30 dollars. I got lucky the first day went looking for machines
                after I took Ray White's repair class, the GW had a simple zz model
                that was all metal. The manager just walked up when I looked at it
                and offered to sell it to me for 10 dollars because he said it had
                been in the store too long. He offered me a plastic wonder, too, but
                I told him I like the all metal machines.

                With the impact of the show Project Runway, I haven't found any
                machines recently. I think when the college students come back to
                town, they snatch them up.

                Sally

                <mailto:waltera@...>waltera@...
                Walla Walla, WA USA

              • McKenna Linn
                Message 7 of 11 , Sep 29, 2008
                  On 9/29/08 6:28 AM, Sally wrote:

                  > Unfortunately, the thrift stores in our town sell their machines for
                  > 25-30 dollars....

                  $25 seems to be the average price in my area, too, for any machine that has
                  all its parts and "works." That seems perfectly reasonable to me :-)

                  > With the impact of the show Project Runway, I haven't found any
                  > machines recently....

                  Just sold a wonderful Gimbel's machine to a college student the other day. I
                  paid $35 for it, sold it to her cleaned, oiled, and adjusted for $25, and
                  gave her two hours of lessons so she knew how to use it... and a CD with
                  Bill's generic IB (instruction book, thanks, Bill) for 15 clones. She plans
                  to take it back to her college dorm room with her, where, I hope, she'll get
                  a few other folks inspired to learn to sew. I really love what "Project
                  Runway" is doing to get young people sewing!

                  Just a few days before that, I sold a Kenmore 158.372, very much a classic
                  Japanese styled machine (in Key-lime green <g>) to a mother and her
                  12-year-old son (they're going to make his Halloween costume this year). The
                  son was fascinated by the treadles and handcranks in my living room,
                  couldn't get enough of sewing machines. He loved the cams that went with the
                  Kenmore. Another young 'un intrigued!!