Re: amazing find

  • Jerry Lee Atwood
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
      I have a Sewmor that I picked up at Salvation Army a few months ago.
      It's a great machine and one of the most attractive in my collection.
      can't say for sure, but I think the Sewmor is made by Morse, as the
      word "Sewmor" is an anagram of "Morse". Not sure where the "W" fits
      in.
      Also the font on the Sewmor is the same as on the Morse. Japanese
      sewing machines are always so enigmatic. Here are a couple of images
      of
      my Sewmor:

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/14640813@N06/2455174021/sizes/l/in/set-
      72157603781640491/
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/14640813@N06/2455174285/sizes/l/in/set-
      72157603781640491/

      -Jerry
    • RC
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 30, 2008
        I saw a nice clean great working Sew Best in a shop for $25. I had to pass as it took cams for different stitches and only had one. Be a real chore to find more cams for that brand.

        Randy
      • Robert Cavenagh
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
          I think I remember that Sewmor was a brand name used by Consew for domestic
          machines, from a variety of sources, and that Morse was originally a
          marketing name for Toyota machines, which were not sold under the maker's
          name in the US. More recent Morse machines appear to be Chinese imports with
          no relationship to Toyota. Consew is now a marketing name for mainly
          industrial machines, including many by Seiko Sewing.

          Early Morse machines were very solid and heavy, but somewhat prone to
          vibration at higher speeds.

          Bob Cavenagh

        • Valerie Lynne
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
            Hi Jerry , Morse was a badged name applied by the distributor, Your
            machine looks very much like a Brother Windowmatic but then a lot of
            machines from that era look similar, check the J-A and J-C numbers
            against the numbers in the files here.

            Valerie

            (snip)--- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Lee
            Atwood" <jerryleetypes@...> wrote:

            > I have a Sewmor that I picked up at Salvation Army a few months ago.
            > It's a great machine and one of the most attractive in my collection.
            > can't say for sure, but I think the Sewmor is made by Morse, as the
            > word "Sewmor" is an anagram of "Morse".
            -Jerry
          • Ron
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
              As much as I admire the Japanese machines, I won't pay more then $20 or
              so excepting maybe a Morse only 'cause I just like them. But as I have
              two, I do pass them up. I tell the shops my opinion, and let it go. So
              it really comes down to what they are worth to you. I say if you have
              the $, buy your self a bit of joy, have fun. If the $ is an issue as it
              is for many of us, patience pays off. I got a Merritt (almost new in
              the box) and a Singer 500 for $100. And the guy was amazed I had so
              little interest in the Merritt. He figured the 500 was a boat anchor to
              go along with the Merritt.

              Ron

              --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Pixie" <cmatc@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello everyone,
              > Still waiting for my friend to ship me my new to me Kenmore sm so
              > haven't posted any pics yet. But I amazingly enough found two Japan
              > sm's in one of our 2 trift shops. One is a black Stitchmaster and the
              > other is a blue SewMore I believe. The lady wants $40 for each but is
              > unsure if either work. Would love to get one but not sure if it's a
              > good deal or not. Advice anyone? Thanks ~Lily

            • jerry atwood
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
                I was only guessing that Sewmor was marketed by Morse because the fonts are identical and I've seen Morse machines that look similar to the Sewmor that I have.

              • Moon & TroutBoy
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Very sexy machine!! How does sew? I wish I could find a neat machine in the thrift store...around here everything seems to be so rusted...sigh.

                  Did you get a gander at my newest find?
                  http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3198/2609614280_ac620de7dc_o.jpg

                  Your Sewmore reminds me of my Brother window matic...
                  http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3087/2448123452_7c1b7b8305_o.jpg
                  xo me