Wards Machines

  • Barb
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2008
      I have a few of these. A couple say Happy on the bottom. And a couple
      are newer (80s era). Who made the newer ones? Are these old heavy
      Happys keepers? Usually they sew well. Although I have tension issues
      with a couple of them. Maybe they are better than the new (80s)
      machines? I did a google search and couldn't find out much. I am
      wondering when the old Happys were made? 276 is the model number on the
      older ones. I searched the files here and did not find much.
    • Bill Holman
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 2, 2008
        To the best of my knowledge, Happy made all of the MW machines.

        Bill Holman
      • pinksmoot
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 3, 2008
          --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Holman"
          <wghmch@...> wrote:

          > To the best of my knowledge, Happy made all of the MW machines.
          >
          > Bill Holman

          I have an old MW Brunswick machine with a vibrating shuttle that I
          think was made by National. Though it is difficult to date, I think it
          was made 1925-1930.

          Nancy in MO
        • fireftnchick@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2008
            National (a US company) made the machines for Montgomery Wards until
            sometime after WWII.

            I have a National Brunswick that came with paperwork dating it to 5/28/1917.
            You can see it in my Webshots under National machines. The address is in
            the signature line. So this is NOT a Japanese machine.

            Karen, the firefighter, in IL

            _http://community.webshots.com/user/fireftnchick_

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5, 2008
              "To the best of my knowledge, Happy made all of the MW machines."

              I should have been clear that this was AFTER MW switched from National
              to Happy, some time around 1957.

              Bill Holman