Re: [vintagejapansewingmachines] Newbie with a Question

  • Bill Eaton
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 30, 2008
      > My question is this, why are these clones so
      > unappreciated in
      > general? These are simple, solid machines that will
      > last forever
      > with a little care but rarely sell for more than $5
      > - $20 a piece.
      > Has their time just not come yet? Do you ever see a
      > time when they
      > will be appreciated and become more valuable? Or
      > will they always be
      > one of the best kept value secrets in SM?
      > **************
      > Hi Nancy! They are unapperciated by us 'oldtimers'
      who went through the time period (50's and 60's) where
      the Japanese were flooding the US market with cheap
      imports. Most of us (myself included) worked for
      Singer at that time and had a bad taste in our mouths
      for any machine that wasn't a Singer and especially
      those Japanese imports.

      Now, years later we realize they were mostly pretty
      well built and darn good machines. Bill Eaton,, old
      Singer man.