Re: [vintagejapansewingmachines] Re: Electrical cord for Imperial machine

  • Homesewing
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 11, 2007
      Thanks Bill,
      My husband managed to add on a piece of cord for me. Now i am finding that the tension is not set correctly at all. I think the bottom tension is the problem as the thread will hardly even pull through the bobbin case. I am also having a problem with the stitch length it seems that the faster I sew the shorter the stitches get.

      Thanks for supplying the name of the part I need. I will probably try for a new "universal block and cord for a flat bed portable case." in the new year. I really don't like cords that are joined together though I am sure it is safe.

      Doreen

      Bill Holman <wghmch@...> wrote: "Does this kind of setup have some special name that I should know so
      that I am asking for the proper cord?"

      Doreen,

      Just ask for a "universal block and cord for a flat bed portable case."
      If they don't understand that, ask for an older person or call
      somewhere else. If you don't find it locally, another older person to
      contact (Sorry Cindy <G>) is:

      Cindy Peters
      stitchesintime@...
      <http://community.webshots.com/user/stitchesintime>

      Bill Holman

    • Ron
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 12, 2007
        My pleasure, it is one the few areas I know a little something about.
        If the connection is a good one (and it probably is) and taped up or
        covered with shrink wrap, a splice is fine. If a person is a bit handy
        and can hide the box in a machine cabinet (there are shallow boxes),
        it isn't hard to wire up a standard receptacle to work though unless
        one has stuff kicking around, it would probably cost as much as buying
        a replacement from Cindy.

        Ron

        --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, Homesewing
        <seneath@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Ron,
        > My machine does have the two cords and the outlet that they go into.
        >
        > I think I will call a sewing repair shop and see if they have what I
        need .Does this kind of setup have some special name that I should
        know so that I am asking for the proper cord?

        > If they don't have it I suppose my husband will figure something
        out. Unfortunately the outlet isn't put together with screws so we
        will need to join the cord in some other way. So what I need to do is
        somehow join a piece of cord between the outlet and the foot pedal.

        > Thanks again
        > Doreen

      • Homesewing
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 13, 2007
          Hi Ron,
          My husband is pretty handy with things like this and has bits and pieces of lots of stuff around. He spliced in a piece of cord and now I can sew. I spent some more time playing with the machine yesterday morning and i think I have the tension problem just about figured out and the what ever I did seems to have fixed the problem I was having with the stitch length too. I used the machine to make a cat's bed yesterday and today I made some microwave rice bags for Christmas presents. I think I will use it for something a bit finer tomorrow and see how it does with a lighter weight material.

          Doreen