Imperial

  • seneath
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2007
      Hello,
      I am new to this group. Yesterday I got an Imperial machine form
      Freecycle. It looks to be in good shape, there is no lint and
      everything seems to move freely when I turn it by hand. I have
      cleaned and oiled it. Is there anything else I should do before I
      plug it in?

      It came with most of its instruction manual and cams and attachments
      and a few bobbins. If the machine works I will need more bobbins can
      someone tell me if it takes a special kind. They look like some that
      I have for one of the other machines.

      The numbers on the front underside (easily visible because it didn't
      come with a cabinet or anything) are Z50918, J-C3, J-A2 and the modle
      # is 111

      We now have three old Singer machines one is an old industrial, and
      two newer machines a Singer for 1973, and a Kenmore for the mid 80's.
      I also am expecting to get an old tredel machine soon,(someone has
      one to give away and since it appears that I have started a collection
      I said I would take it)

      I don't know anything about fixing sewing machines but since I now
      have so many I think this would be a good time to start.

      Thanks
      Doreen
    • Helen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
        --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "seneath"
        <seneath@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I am new to this group. Yesterday I got an Imperial machine form
        > Freecycle.
        > Doreen

        I would tell you thanks for rescuing this machine. My early years
        were pure poverty. Way back when, I would have given my eye teeth to
        have a machine like that. I can remember the time when I would have
        thought I had died & went to heaven just to have a sewing machine.
        Now it is comforting just to line em up in a row & look at them. I
        have a (sometime in the 60's) New Home I aquired sometime last
        summer, & I treasure it. You know I think someday your machine will
        be somebodys treasure.
        Helen
        I am laughing at myself, I do believe somedays I open up the table &
        use it for a few minutes just to get my sewing machine fix for the
        day. It is a pretty blue green color. It would have to be a very
        special person to get this machine from me. Someone who would
        treasure it. Elizabeth Taylor can have her jewels. They are boring.
        Just give me my New Home sewing machine.
        I was thinking some people go to garden shows, you know & look at the
        plants. I would drive somewhere just to look at your Imperial.
      • Homesewing
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2007
          Thanks for you reply,
          I think I am beginning to know what you mean about driving somewhere just to see the machines. I have just begun my collection but I already find it hard to leave sewing machines at Goodwill. Now if only I had another "large" room and lots of money I would take them all.
          Doreen