Hi recent acquired new home

  • countrywannabe1
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 24, 2007
      Hello, I was recently given a new home 446. She didn't come with
      anything. Thank goodness I had a pedal and power cord> I contacted
      janome thru their web site and they sent me the manual as a pdf for
      free! What a great company!But I have a question, this model also
      accepts cams, originally came with 27 of them. I have been looking and
      have yet to find any, I thought I would ask here if anyone might have
      picked any up in their wanderings. I have found out they are black and
      small. any help would be appreciated. Thanks for any info. Tammy p.s.
      thanks for the great group and sharing of wizdom.
    • The Walter Family
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 25, 2007
        Tammy, you might try looking for cams from Kenmores. Some Kennies
        used small black cams. Others used round flat cams and others a top
        hat sort of cam that would not be compatible.

        Ebay auction #140182159503 are the ones I am thinking about. There
        are some similarities in the machines but I am not positive about the
        fit of the cams:

        http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/google.fcgi/itemKey=1922825235

        Sally

        <mailto:waltera@...>waltera<mailto:waltera@...>@...
        Walla Walla, WA USA

      • I Love to Quilt
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 25, 2007
          Kenmore cams will not fit any other brand of sewing machine. Even if
          they look the same, they will have a minor difference. I have a White
          made by Gritzner that is the same as the Kenmore 84, the 84 cams have a
          straight side at the bottom of the center circle, the white is a full
          circle, and has a slit at the outside of the circle to line the cam up
          and hold it in place. Even though it is the same machine, the cams are
          not exchangeable.
          Sears made the manufacturers change something on all the parts, so if
          you bought a Kenmore, you had to buy replacements from them.
          --
          Justina in WV
          Reply to its4sale@...

          The Walter Family wrote:

          > Tammy, you might try looking for cams from Kenmores. Some Kennies
          > used small black cams. Others used round flat cams and others a top
          > hat sort of cam that would not be compatible.
          >
          > Ebay auction #140182159503 are the ones I am thinking about. There
          > are some similarities in the machines but I am not positive about the
          > fit of the cams:
          >
          > http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/google.fcgi/itemKey=1922825235
          > <http://www.tias.com/cgi-bin/google.fcgi/itemKey=1922825235>
          >
          > Sally

        • Bill Holman
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 25, 2007
            It is unlikely that any Kenmore cams will fit. At the time this machine
            was made, (late 60s, if I remember correctly) Sears had no connection
            with Janome. There were a few other New Homes that used the same cams
            during that period, and if memory serves, they were the 534, and the
            445.

            Bill Holman
          • Beverly I.
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 25, 2007
              I think that I have a set of 23 cams for your New Home 446. Does your
              manual show a picture of any of the cams? The cams that I have are
              small, not round, have a keyhole shaped opening on the bottom, somewhat
              top-hattish.
              Beverly

              --
            • countrywannabe1
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 26, 2007
                Hi, Not sure what cams fit either. I checked ebay and a recent auction
                for a new home 446 and their cams were black and I know they are much
                smaller than any I have seen before. Cam cover is very small and the
                shaft they sit on is smaller than a pencil. looks like cam follower is
                only for single layer cam and I can't tell if they would be round or
                shaped for design. I am hoping just watching ebay or by luck someone
                here will know or have an extra set. No not good enough pics in manual
                to tell what they look like. Dang it.keeping my eyes and ears open tho.
                Thanks for any help and I will continue to check bay for any new home
                cams.Tammy
              • countrywannabe1
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 29, 2007
                  Hi, I was looking for the auction number for that new home 446 on the
                  bay. Can't find it now, so it must be past the length of time auctions
                  kept. Really to bad as I could have let everyone know what the cams
                  looked like.Sorry bout that.I will keep trying to see if I can find a
                  pic. thanks for any help! Tammy