Imperia Tank

  • rob
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2007
      HI All
      Just spent the evening cleaning and reassembling an Imperial 519J.
      The only thing good is it does sew and will sew through heavy fabric.
      You would need hearing protection if you spent any amount of time in
      the same room while someone else did the sewing.
      When sewing short to med length stitches it's not too bad like sitting
      next to an idoling Mac truck but when you go for a longer stitch the
      stitch dial starts popping in and out like a machine gun what a
      racket. I've never seen a machine that was so rough.
      Is this common with some machines?
      Rob
    • Bill Holman
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1 9:17 AM
        "when you go for a longer stitch the stitch dial starts popping in and
        out like a machine gun"

        The feed dogs are hitting or hanging up on something, Rob.

        Bill Holman
      • rob gray
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1 9:40 AM
          Thanks Bill
          I'll check it out when I get back home on Sat.Off to visit the mother for a nigh or two.
          Rob
          Bill Holman <wghmch@...> wrote:
          "when you go for a longer stitch the stitch dial starts popping in and
          out like a machine gun"

          The feed dogs are hitting or hanging up on something, Rob.

          Bill Holman

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • sew1derful
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1 7:02 PM
            Rob, I hope Bill is right but if it is any consolation to you, I just
            gave a Janome XL-II (aka model 900) to a friend that makes a horrible
            noise when it sews in the basting stitch mode. It sews great on slow
            or high speed at any stitch length or width (up to 7 mm wide ZZ
            stitch). The speed control is on the plug to the power cord along with
            a third setting for basting stitch. I never like to to use that
            feature because the whole machine would make a very loud sound with
            every stitch forward. It seemed like the whole machine was having
            convulsions of some sort.

            Fortunately, my friend wanted the machine for the wonderful chain
            stitch option. She will also have a machine that the 4-H kids can sew
            slowly with. I have another Janome that chain stitches and has a slow
            speed switch plus a Singer 600 that has the chain stitch accessories.
            I won't miss "Lurch."

            Sally
          • Dick Torgerson
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 2 3:40 AM
              I didn't see Bill's reply to this so this might be repititious, but
              I've had a few problems with machines loud and shaking. Usually it
              has been caused by the feed dog, which isn't properly adjusted, and
              is striking either the needle plate or, especially on long stitch
              lengths, some other part of the machine under the needle plate.

              The basting stitch usually is about the longest stitch, and that
              could be the problem. If shortening the stitch length causes the
              noise to go away, try adjusting the feed dog location so does not
              strike either the front edge of the needle plate or any part of the
              machine under the needle plate when the feed dog is in its forward
              position.

              Then, on the longest stitch, make sure it is not striking either the
              needle plate or any part of the machine at the end of its movement to
              the rear.

              Then, adjust it right to left so it is parallel along the length of
              the openings in the needle plate. Be careful to not upset the front-
              to-rear location when doing this.

              If the feed dog is still making noise, its maximum stitch length may
              need adjusting, and that can get a fair bit deeper into a machine's
              mechanics than can be detailed in a short email.

              dick t

              --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "sew1derful"
              <waltera@...> wrote:

              > Rob, I hope Bill is right but if it is any consolation to you, I
              just
              > gave a Janome XL-II (aka model 900) to a friend that makes a
              horrible
              > noise when it sews in the basting stitch mode. It sews great on
              slow
              > or high speed at any stitch length or width (up to 7 mm wide ZZ
              > stitch). The speed control is on the plug to the power cord along
              with
              > a third setting for basting stitch. I never like to to use that
              > feature because the whole machine would make a very loud sound with
              > every stitch forward. It seemed like the whole machine was having
              > convulsions of some sort.
              >
              > Fortunately, my friend wanted the machine for the wonderful chain
              > stitch option. She will also have a machine that the 4-H kids can
              sew
              > slowly with. I have another Janome that chain stitches and has a
              slow
              > speed switch plus a Singer 600 that has the chain stitch
              accessories.
              > I won't miss "Lurch."
              >
              > Sally

            • rob gray
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 2 3:10 PM
                You’re All Right
                The feed dogs are catching the under side. Now the question is how do I fix this? I hope it's relatively straight forward.

                Thanks Rob

                Dick Torgerson <rtorgerson@...> wrote:
                Usually it has been caused by the feed dog, which isn't properly adjusted, and is striking either the needle plate.

              • Richard Torgerson
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 4 3:13 AM
                  Rob-

                  The feed dog usually is held by a couple of screws. Remove the needle plate to access them.

                  Loosen them and move the needle plate in all directions to get a feel for the amount of adjustment. Then tighten the feed dog screws just enough to keep it from moving freely. You want to be able to gently move it with some slight resistance.

                  Then, adjust the feed dog so the needle plate will reinstall (do not put in the needle plate screws until you are finished with this adjustment stuff).

                  Set the machine for its longest stitch length, and rotate the handwheel until the feed dog just comes up at the beginning of its cycle.
                  Pull the feed dog toward the front (toward you) until it is VERY close but not touching the front edge of the needle plate's feed dog slots.

                  Rotate the handwheel until the feed dog is at the end of its travel. It should be toward the rear of the needle plate slots, but not touching the end of the slots. (If it is touching or striking the end of the slot that requires a length-of-travel adjustment which is beyond the scope of this email).

                  Carefully align the feed dog along the width of the needle plate slots so it is centered side-to-side.

                  Recycle the handwheel to check the front and rear clearance of the feed dog.

                  With the needle up, CAREFULLY (so as to not upset the feed dog location) remove the needle plate and gently tighten the feed dog screws.

                  Replace the needle plate and cycle the handwheel to be sure the feed dog location is correct throughout its travel.

                  If all is correct, remove the needle plate, tighten the feed dog screws, and reinstall the needle plate and its screws.

                  Again, cycle the handwheel to check the feed dog operation.

                  If all seems good, try the machine under power, at various speeds and varying stitch lengths, including reverse.

                  Sometimes it takes several tries to get the feed dog properly set. Have patience - it is worth the effort.

                  Dick T.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 4 8:38 AM
                    Hi Richard

                    Unfortunately the it's not just the feed dogs it's the carrier as
                    well. I removed the feed dogs and the arm the feed dogs are attached
                    to is also catching the edge of the opening.
                    I have posted photos in my album (Rob's machines) of the two areas
                    that are catching. By the look of it has been doing it for quite a
                    while before I got the machine. There is quite a bit of wear from
                    repeated hitting.
                    Thanks Rob

                    --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Torgerson"

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 4 10:40 AM
                      Thanks, Dick, for the great instructions. We will have to try them out
                      on the JNH XL-II (aka Lurch). I think the chain stitch is much better
                      for basting but my friend may want to use the actual basting stitch
                      feature.

                      Sally
                    • Richard Torgerson
                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 4 7:41 PM
                        Rob-

                        I'll have to look at the pictures to get an idea about your machine. It sounds like an internal adjustment has slipped or something else. It may be a day or two before I can get an idea of what to do next, as I have a couple of commercial SM customers who have to take top priority Mon.

                        Dick T.

                        e have been removed]
                      • rob gray
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 5 8:49 AM
                          Thanks Dick
                          I appreciate you taking the time.
                          Rob
                        • happymom61
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 18 10:07 AM
                            I just purchased a Janome XL II/New Home 900 at goodwill and am hunting manuals and info. I am amazed to see that it can CHAINSTITCH too according to your post. I will be taking it apart this weekend to clean/test it. I contacted Janome and they didn't have a manual, my web hunting hasn't even brought up a picture of the machine. Any info you all could share would be wonderful.
                            Thanks
                            Bev
                            --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Torgerson" <rtorgerson@...> wrote:

                            > I didn't see Bill's reply to this so this might be repititious, but
                            > I've had a few problems with machines loud and shaking. Usually it
                            > has been caused by the feed dog, which isn't properly adjusted, and
                            > is striking either the needle plate or, especially on long stitch
                            > lengths, some other part of the machine under the needle plate.
                            >
                            > The basting stitch usually is about the longest stitch, and that
                            > could be the problem. If shortening the stitch length causes the
                            > noise to go away, try adjusting the feed dog location so does not
                            > strike either the front edge of the needle plate or any part of the
                            > machine under the needle plate when the feed dog is in its forward
                            > position.
                            >
                            > Then, on the longest stitch, make sure it is not striking either the
                            > needle plate or any part of the machine at the end of its movement to
                            > the rear.
                            >
                            > Then, adjust it right to left so it is parallel along the length of
                            > the openings in the needle plate. Be careful to not upset the front-
                            > to-rear location when doing this.
                            >
                            > If the feed dog is still making noise, its maximum stitch length may
                            > need adjusting, and that can get a fair bit deeper into a machine's
                            > mechanics than can be detailed in a short email.
                            >
                            > dick t
                            >
                            > --- In vintagejapansewingmachines@yahoogroups.com, "sew1derful"
                            > <waltera@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Rob, I hope Bill is right but if it is any consolation to you, I
                            > just
                            > > gave a Janome XL-II (aka model 900) to a friend that makes a
                            > horrible
                            > > noise when it sews in the basting stitch mode. It sews great on
                            > slow
                            > > or high speed at any stitch length or width (up to 7 mm wide ZZ
                            > > stitch). The speed control is on the plug to the power cord along
                            > with
                            > > a third setting for basting stitch. I never like to to use that
                            > > feature because the whole machine would make a very loud sound with
                            > > every stitch forward. It seemed like the whole machine was having
                            > > convulsions of some sort.
                            > >
                            > > Fortunately, my friend wanted the machine for the wonderful chain
                            > > stitch option. She will also have a machine that the 4-H kids can
                            > sew
                            > > slowly with. I have another Janome that chain stitches and has a
                            > slow
                            > > speed switch plus a Singer 600 that has the chain stitch
                            > accessories.
                            > > I won't miss "Lurch."
                            > >
                            > > Sally

                          • Jeffrey
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 18 7:57 PM
                              Sew USA has a copy of the New Home 900 manual. The We Fix It group had a discussion about a chain stitching attachment that may have been Toyota.

                              Jeff