usearglist patch

  • Marcin Szamotulski
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29, 2014
      Dear Bram,

      I wrote a patch to reuse an argument list from different window.
      I think it is useful to have a way of setting an argument list from
      a different window [tab page]. One scenario where it is useful is when
      a window has global argument list and one makes a ':split|argl' and
      after a while one would like to reuse the new local argument list somewhere
      else. With the attached patch one can:

      :call usearglist({winnr} [, {tabnr}])

      to use the argument list from window number {winnr} (in tab page
      {tabnr}) in the current window.

      The function returns 0 on success and -1 on error (window or tab page not
      found).

      Thanks for reviewing the patch,
      Marcin Szamotulski
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30, 2014
        Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

        > I wrote a patch to reuse an argument list from different window.
        > I think it is useful to have a way of setting an argument list from
        > a different window [tab page]. One scenario where it is useful is when
        > a window has global argument list and one makes a ':split|argl' and
        > after a while one would like to reuse the new local argument list somewhere
        > else. With the attached patch one can:
        >
        > :call usearglist({winnr} [, {tabnr}])
        >
        > to use the argument list from window number {winnr} (in tab page
        > {tabnr}) in the current window.
        >
        > The function returns 0 on success and -1 on error (window or tab page not
        > found).

        Hmm, it's a bit strange to have this as a function. Otherwise setting
        the argument list is done with commands. E.g. :argglobal is similar,
        but always switches to the global argument list.

        We could use :{nr}arglocal instead. The question is where the user gets
        the {nr} from. When using arglistid() this requires using :exe. I
        think we need a command to list all the arglists.

        For a user who actually uses multiple arglists it would indeed be useful
        to list the ones that are in use. With a summary of the file names, and
        which window/tab they are used in.

        --
        Your company is doomed if your primary product is overhead transparencies.
        (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)

      • Marcin Szamotulski
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 30, 2014
          On 12:53 Wed 30 Jul , Bram Moolenaar wrote:

          > Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
          >
          > > I wrote a patch to reuse an argument list from different window.
          > > I think it is useful to have a way of setting an argument list from
          > > a different window [tab page]. One scenario where it is useful is when
          > > a window has global argument list and one makes a ':split|argl' and
          > > after a while one would like to reuse the new local argument list somewhere
          > > else. With the attached patch one can:
          > >
          > > :call usearglist({winnr} [, {tabnr}])
          > >
          > > to use the argument list from window number {winnr} (in tab page
          > > {tabnr}) in the current window.
          > >
          > > The function returns 0 on success and -1 on error (window or tab page not
          > > found).
          >
          > Hmm, it's a bit strange to have this as a function. Otherwise setting
          > the argument list is done with commands. E.g. :argglobal is similar,
          > but always switches to the global argument list.
          >
          > We could use :{nr}arglocal instead. The question is where the user gets
          > the {nr} from. When using arglistid() this requires using :exe. I
          > think we need a command to list all the arglists.

          I agree.

          > For a user who actually uses multiple arglists it would indeed be useful
          > to list the ones that are in use. With a summary of the file names, and
          > which window/tab they are used in.

          Maybe it should show columns:
          file name, window id, tab id and arglist id

          or even omit tab id by default and only include other tab pages when
          a bang is used. I think it is better to organize the list by tab page id
          and window id rather by arglist id, since it will be easier to find the
          correct arglist id.

          Something like:
          tabdo windo echo printf('%2d %4d %4d %s', tabpagenr(), winnr(), arglistid(), bufname('%'))

          (but without the drawback of landing in a different window/tab page)

          Best regards,
          Marcin Szamotulski

          > --
          > Your company is doomed if your primary product is overhead transparencies.
          > (Scott Adams - The Dilbert principle)

          > --
          > --
          >
          > ---
        • Marcin Szamotulski
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2014
            On 15:15 Wed 30 Jul , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
            > On 12:53 Wed 30 Jul , Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > >
            > > Marcin Szamotulski wrote:
            > >
            > > > I wrote a patch to reuse an argument list from different window.
            > > > I think it is useful to have a way of setting an argument list from
            > > > a different window [tab page]. One scenario where it is useful is when
            > > > a window has global argument list and one makes a ':split|argl' and
            > > > after a while one would like to reuse the new local argument list somewhere
            > > > else. With the attached patch one can:
            > > >
            > > > :call usearglist({winnr} [, {tabnr}])
            > > >
            > > > to use the argument list from window number {winnr} (in tab page
            > > > {tabnr}) in the current window.
            > > >
            > > > The function returns 0 on success and -1 on error (window or tab page not
            > > > found).
            > >
            > > Hmm, it's a bit strange to have this as a function. Otherwise setting
            > > the argument list is done with commands. E.g. :argglobal is similar,
            > > but always switches to the global argument list.
            > >
            > > We could use :{nr}arglocal instead. The question is where the user gets
            > > the {nr} from. When using arglistid() this requires using :exe. I
            > > think we need a command to list all the arglists.
            >
            > I agree.
            > >
            > > For a user who actually uses multiple arglists it would indeed be useful
            > > to list the ones that are in use. With a summary of the file names, and
            > > which window/tab they are used in.
            > >

            > Maybe it should show columns:
            > file name, window id, tab id and arglist id
            >
            > or even omit tab id by default and only include other tab pages when
            > a bang is used. I think it is better to organize the list by tab page id
            > and window id rather by arglist id, since it will be easier to find the
            > correct arglist id.
            >
            > Something like:
            > tabdo windo echo printf('%2d %4d %4d %s', tabpagenr(), winnr(), arglistid(), bufname('%'))
            >
            > (but without the drawback of landing in a different window/tab page)
            >
            > Best regards,
            > Marcin Szamotulski

            Dear Bram,

            I attach patch for :{N}arglocal (for using arglist with ID {N} in the
            current window) command which also adds :arglists[!] (for listing all
            the arglists).

            During compilation I get a warning:
            ex_docmd.c:205:13: warning: ‘ex_arglists’ used but never defined [enabled by default]
            which I don't know how to fix.

            Best regards,
            Marcin Szamotulski
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2014
              Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

              > On 15:15 Wed 30 Jul , Marcin Szamotulski wrote:

              > > > Hmm, it's a bit strange to have this as a function. Otherwise setting
              > > > the argument list is done with commands. E.g. :argglobal is similar,
              > > > but always switches to the global argument list.
              > > >
              > > > We could use :{nr}arglocal instead. The question is where the user gets
              > > > the {nr} from. When using arglistid() this requires using :exe. I
              > > > think we need a command to list all the arglists.
              > >
              > > I agree.
              > > >
              > > > For a user who actually uses multiple arglists it would indeed be useful
              > > > to list the ones that are in use. With a summary of the file names, and
              > > > which window/tab they are used in.
              > > >

              > > Maybe it should show columns:
              > > file name, window id, tab id and arglist id
              > >
              > > or even omit tab id by default and only include other tab pages when
              > > a bang is used. I think it is better to organize the list by tab page id
              > > and window id rather by arglist id, since it will be easier to find the
              > > correct arglist id.
              > >
              > > Something like:
              > > tabdo windo echo printf('%2d %4d %4d %s', tabpagenr(), winnr(), arglistid(), bufname('%'))
              > >
              > > (but without the drawback of landing in a different window/tab page)
              > >
              > > Best regards,
              > > Marcin Szamotulski
              >
              > Dear Bram,
              >
              > I attach patch for :{N}arglocal (for using arglist with ID {N} in the
              > current window) command which also adds :arglists[!] (for listing all
              > the arglists).
              >
              > During compilation I get a warning:
              > ex_docmd.c:205:13: warning: ‘ex_arglists’ used but never defined [enabled by default]
              > which I don't know how to fix.

              Thanks. I'll give others some time to make comments.

              --
              Contrary to popular belief, it's often your clothing that gets promoted, not
              you.