Request for permision to use the Vim icon in a new Windows shell extension.

  • john.brandwood@...
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 30, 2014
      Hi,

      I've written an open-source collection of Windows Explorer shell extensions that supports 17 different text editors, including Vim. The project will, hopefully, go live on SourceForge/Github in a week or so (it's already registered as "EditWith").

      The shell extension can load up Vim's icon from the gvim.exe executable file, but it's much faster to load it up from within the extension itself, and honestly, the custom-tweaked version of the icon that I've made looks a lot better then just scaling the icon from the executable.

      Can someone here please tell me how to go about getting permission to use the Vim icon in my project's Vim-specific shell extension?

      Regards,

      John

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 1, 2014
        John -

        > I've written an open-source collection of Windows Explorer shell
        > extensions that supports 17 different text editors, including Vim. The
        > project will, hopefully, go live on SourceForge/Github in a week or so
        > (it's already registered as "EditWith").
        >
        > The shell extension can load up Vim's icon from the gvim.exe
        > executable file, but it's much faster to load it up from within the
        > extension itself, and honestly, the custom-tweaked version of the icon
        > that I've made looks a lot better then just scaling the icon from the
        > executable.
        >
        > Can someone here please tell me how to go about getting permission to
        > use the Vim icon in my project's Vim-specific shell extension?

        It is fine to use the Vim logo for the good of Vim users. And it sounds
        like what you are doing falls in that category.

        Good luck with your project!

        - Bram

        --
        ARTHUR: What?
        BLACK KNIGHT: None shall pass.

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 1, 2014
          On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:43:24 PM UTC+1, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > John -
          >

          > > I've written an open-source collection of Windows Explorer shell
          >
          > > extensions that supports 17 different text editors, including Vim. The
          >
          > > project will, hopefully, go live on SourceForge/Github in a week or so
          >
          > > (it's already registered as "EditWith").
          >

          > > The shell extension can load up Vim's icon from the gvim.exe
          >
          > > executable file, but it's much faster to load it up from within the
          >
          > > extension itself, and honestly, the custom-tweaked version of the icon
          >
          > > that I've made looks a lot better then just scaling the icon from the
          >
          > > executable.
          >

          > > Can someone here please tell me how to go about getting permission to
          >
          > > use the Vim icon in my project's Vim-specific shell extension?
          >

          > It is fine to use the Vim logo for the good of Vim users. And it sounds
          >
          > like what you are doing falls in that category.
          >

          > Good luck with your project!
          >

          > - Bram
          >

          > --
          >
          > ARTHUR: What?
          >
          > BLACK KNIGHT: None shall pass.
          >
          > ARTHUR: I have no quarrel with you, good Sir knight, but I must cross
          >
          > this bridge.
          >
          > BLACK KNIGHT: Then you shall die.
          >
          > The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty Python)

          Hi Bram,

          Thank you for the permission to use the icon, I really appreciate it.

          My project is licensed under the Boost License so that anyone can freely use it without restriction, and not the GPL ... I'll add a specific note that the icon itself should not be used in any forks/derivatives without permission.

          I don't yet support the "diff" option that Vim's current shell extension has, but should add it soon (only Vim and PSPad seem to support it).

          OTOH, I've tried to create something that keeps Explorer's context menu a bit less cluttered than Vim's current shell extension, and I'd really rather not add the "Edit with multiple Vims" menu entry unless people really use it.

          Would anyone care to express an opinion on that?

          John

        • Charles
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 1, 2014
            On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:20 AM, <john.brandwood@...> wrote:
            On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:43:24 PM UTC+1, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > John -
            >

            > > I've written an open-source collection of Windows Explorer shell
            >
            > > extensions that supports 17 different text editors, including Vim. The
            >
            > > project will, hopefully, go live on SourceForge/Github in a week or so
            >
            > > (it's already registered as "EditWith").
            >

            > > The shell extension can load up Vim's icon from the gvim.exe
            >
            > > executable file, but it's much faster to load it up from within the
            >
            > > extension itself, and honestly, the custom-tweaked version of the icon
            >
            > > that I've made looks a lot better then just scaling the icon from the
            >
            > > executable.
            >

            > > Can someone here please tell me how to go about getting permission to
            >
            > > use the Vim icon in my project's Vim-specific shell extension?
            >

            > It is fine to use the Vim logo for the good of Vim users.  And it sounds
            >
            > like what you are doing falls in that category.
            >

            > Good luck with your project!
            >

            > - Bram
            >

            > --
            >
            > ARTHUR:        What?
            >
            > BLACK KNIGHT:  None shall pass.
            >
            > ARTHUR:        I have no quarrel with you, good Sir knight, but I must cross
            >
            >                this bridge.
            >
            > BLACK KNIGHT:  Then you shall die.
            >
            >                                   The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty Python)
            >

            >  /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
            >
            > ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
            >
            > \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
            >
            >  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///

            Hi Bram,

            Thank you for the permission to use the icon, I really appreciate it.

            My project is licensed under the Boost License so that anyone can freely use it without restriction, and not the GPL ... I'll add a specific note that the icon itself should not be used in any forks/derivatives without permission.

            I don't yet support the "diff" option that Vim's current shell extension has, but should add it soon (only Vim and PSPad seem to support it).

            OTOH, I've tried to create something that keeps Explorer's context menu a bit less cluttered than Vim's current shell extension, and I'd really rather not add the "Edit with multiple Vims" menu entry unless people really use it.

            Would anyone care to express an opinion on that?

            I usually use the "Edit with existing vim" menu entries. Not in the official gvim extension handler, but there is an extended extension handler that lists the running gvim window and allow opening the selected file in those window as a new tab.

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 1, 2014
              On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:04:15 PM UTC-7, char101 wrote:
              > On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:20 AM, <john.br...@...> wrote:
              >

              > On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:43:24 PM UTC+1, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
              >
              > > John -
              >

              > > > I've written an open-source collection of Windows Explorer shell
              >

              > > > extensions that supports 17 different text editors, including Vim. The
              >

              > > > project will, hopefully, go live on SourceForge/Github in a week or so
              >

              > > > (it's already registered as "EditWith").
              >

              > > > The shell extension can load up Vim's icon from the gvim.exe
              >

              > > > executable file, but it's much faster to load it up from within the
              >

              > > > extension itself, and honestly, the custom-tweaked version of the icon
              >

              > > > that I've made looks a lot better then just scaling the icon from the
              >

              > > > executable.
              >

              > > > Can someone here please tell me how to go about getting permission to
              >

              > > > use the Vim icon in my project's Vim-specific shell extension?
              >

              > > It is fine to use the Vim logo for the good of Vim users.  And it sounds
              >

              > > like what you are doing falls in that category.
              >

              > > Good luck with your project!
              >

              > > - Bram
              >

              > > --
              >

              > > ARTHUR:        What?
              >

              > > BLACK KNIGHT:  None shall pass.
              >

              > > ARTHUR:        I have no quarrel with you, good Sir knight, but I must cross
              >

              > >                this bridge.
              >

              > > BLACK KNIGHT:  Then you shall die.
              >

              > >                                   The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty Python)
              >

              > >  /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
              >

              > > ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
              >

              > > \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
              >

              > >  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///
              >

              > Hi Bram,
              >

              > Thank you for the permission to use the icon, I really appreciate it.
              >

              > My project is licensed under the Boost License so that anyone can freely use it without restriction, and not the GPL ... I'll add a specific note that the icon itself should not be used in any forks/derivatives without permission.
              >

              > I don't yet support the "diff" option that Vim's current shell extension has, but should add it soon (only Vim and PSPad seem to support it).
              >

              > OTOH, I've tried to create something that keeps Explorer's context menu a bit less cluttered than Vim's current shell extension, and I'd really rather not add the "Edit with multiple Vims" menu entry unless people really use it.
              >

              > Would anyone care to express an opinion on that?
              >
              > I usually use the "Edit with existing vim" menu entries. Not in the official gvim extension handler, but there is an extended extension handler that lists the running gvim window and allow opening the selected file in those window as a new tab.

              I use the regular "Edit with existing" feature a lot, and bringing that capability to other editors was why I started writing a shell extension in the first place.

              It is trivial to drop the selected files on any part of the editor's window ... the trick is knowing the coordinates that correspond to a particular file/tab subwindow, and getting the existing tab's filename to display in the menu.

              Perhaps when my project finally goes live, some Vim users will be interested in giving it a try and suggesting improvements.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 18, 2014
                On Wednesday, July 2, 2014 6:43:13 AM UTC+1, john.br...@... wrote:
                > On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 7:04:15 PM UTC-7, char101 wrote:
                >
                > > On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 12:20 AM, <john.br...@...> wrote:
                >

                > > On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:43:24 PM UTC+1, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
                >

                > > > John -

                > > > It is fine to use the Vim logo for the good of Vim users.  And it sounds
                >

                > > > like what you are doing falls in that category.

                > > > Good luck with your project!

                > > > - Bram

                > > > --
                >

                > > > ARTHUR:        What?
                >

                > > > BLACK KNIGHT:  None shall pass.
                >

                > > > ARTHUR:        I have no quarrel with you, good Sir knight, but I must cross
                >

                > > >                this bridge.
                >

                > > > BLACK KNIGHT:  Then you shall die.
                >

                > > >                                   The Quest for the Holy Grail (Monty Python)

                > > >  /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram@... -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
                >

                > > > ///        sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
                >

                > > > \\\  an exciting new programming language -- http://www.Zimbu.org        ///
                >

                > > >  \\\            help me help AIDS victims -- http://ICCF-Holland.org    ///
                >

                > > Hi Bram,
                >

                > > Thank you for the permission to use the icon, I really appreciate it.
                >

                > > My project is licensed under the Boost License so that anyone can freely use it without restriction, and not the GPL ... I'll add a specific note that the icon itself should not be used in any forks/derivatives without permission.
                >

                > > I don't yet support the "diff" option that Vim's current shell extension has, but should add it soon (only Vim and PSPad seem to support it).
                >

                > > OTOH, I've tried to create something that keeps Explorer's context menu a bit less cluttered than Vim's current shell extension, and I'd really rather not add the "Edit with multiple Vims" menu entry unless people really use it.
                >

                > > Would anyone care to express an opinion on that?
                >

                > > I usually use the "Edit with existing vim" menu entries. Not in the official gvim extension handler, but there is an extended extension handler that lists the running gvim window and allow opening the selected file in those window as a new tab.
                >

                > I use the regular "Edit with existing" feature a lot, and bringing that capability to other editors was why I started writing a shell extension in the first place.
                >

                > It is trivial to drop the selected files on any part of the editor's window ... the trick is knowing the coordinates that correspond to a particular file/tab subwindow, and getting the existing tab's filename to display in the menu.
                >

                > Perhaps when my project finally goes live, some Vim users will be interested in giving it a try and suggesting improvements.

                FYI ... my shell extension project has seen it's first public release.

                The Vim icon is embedded within the Vim version of the shell extension, and I hope that you'll all like it.

                Please feel free to use it, ignore it, or suggest improvements.

                It's been released under the Boost license, which will make it easy to use it as the official Vim shell extension if you all feel at some point in the future that it deserves that recognition.

                The project is on SourceForge/GitHub at http://sourceforge.net/projects/editwith/

                Thanks again for the permission to use the Vim icon.

                John

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 18, 2014
                  Apologies for all the included junk at the start of my last message ... the Google Groups webpage added it by default.

                  Sorry,

                  John