:help does not correctly handle partial abbreviations

  • Matthew Martin
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 2, 2014
      :help :nor should go to the tag for :noremap or :no not :norm as it does now.
      Similarly
      :help :nore incorrectly goes to :norea
      :help :norem incorrectly goes to :noreme

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2014
        Matthew Martin wrote:

        > :help :nor should go to the tag for :noremap or :no not :norm as it does now.
        > Similarly
        > :help :nore incorrectly goes to :norea
        > :help :norem incorrectly goes to :noreme

        I'll add tags for those.

        --
        Vi is clearly superior to emacs, since "vi" has only two characters
        (and two keystrokes), while "emacs" has five. (Randy C. Ford)

      • Matthew Martin
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2014
          On Monday, June 2, 2014 3:50:23 AM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
          > Matthew Martin wrote:
          >

          > > :help :nor should go to the tag for :noremap or :no not :norm as it does now.
          >
          > > Similarly
          >
          > > :help :nore incorrectly goes to :norea
          >
          > > :help :norem incorrectly goes to :noreme
          >

          > I'll add tags for those.
          >

          > --
          >
          > Vi is clearly superior to emacs, since "vi" has only two characters
          >
          > (and two keystrokes), while "emacs" has five. (Randy C. Ford)

          I don't think that's the right way to go since there are a number of topics that go to the wrong tag. E.g. :cnor, :iun, :cun, :inor, :sfi, :ver and that's just from a few minutes of searching.

          I may have time to look into fixing it. However, my C isn't the best, and last time I looked the :help lookup code was interesting.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2014
            Matthew Martin wrote:

            > On Monday, June 2, 2014 3:50:23 AM UTC-5, Bram Moolenaar wrote:
            > > Matthew Martin wrote:
            > >
            > > > :help :nor should go to the tag for :noremap or :no not :norm as it does now.
            > > > Similarly
            > > > :help :nore incorrectly goes to :norea
            > > > :help :norem incorrectly goes to :noreme
            > >
            > > I'll add tags for those.
            >
            > I don't think that's the right way to go since there are a number of
            > topics that go to the wrong tag. E.g. :cnor, :iun, :cun, :inor, :sfi,
            > :ver and that's just from a few minutes of searching.
            >
            > I may have time to look into fixing it. However, my C isn't the best,
            > and last time I looked the :help lookup code was interesting.

            It would require help_heuristic() to look in the table of command names
            for which one matches first.

            --
            Did you hear about the new 3 million dollar West Virginia State Lottery?
            The winner gets 3 dollars a year for a million years.

          • Tony Mechelynck
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 6, 2014
              On 02/06/14 17:49, Bram Moolenaar wrote:

              > Matthew Martin wrote:

              >>> I'll add tags for those.
              >>
              >> I don't think that's the right way to go since there are a number of
              >> topics that go to the wrong tag. E.g. :cnor, :iun, :cun, :inor, :sfi,
              >> :ver and that's just from a few minutes of searching.
              >>
              >> I may have time to look into fixing it. However, my C isn't the best,
              >> and last time I looked the :help lookup code was interesting.
              >
              > It would require help_heuristic() to look in the table of command names
              > for which one matches first.

              ...and that would mean treating helpfiles specially (looking up the dags
              differently than in the general case I mean); in fact, it would mean
              expanding the ex-command before loking up the help tagfile for it. Is it
              worth it?

              :no
              :nor
              :nore
              :norem
              :norema
              :noremap

              :noreme
              :noremen
              :noremenu

              :norea
              :noreab
              :noreabb
              :noreabbr
              :noreabbre
              :noreabbrev

              But, in that latter case, not further than that: only ab[breviate] and
              :una[bbreviate], it seems, may be expanded beyond the v.

              I had always thought that it was a given of the way the help system was
              built, that only the full name and the shortest abbreviation (with a few
              exceptions like :syn for :sy[ntax]) were tagged, and that you had to use
              autocomplete for anything in between.

              All warranty and guarantee clauses become null and void upon payment of
              invoice.