Buffer position not preserved when resizing window (7.4.307)

  • Ron Aaron
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2014
      To repro the issue:

      gvim -u NONE somefile
      :sp
      50G

      Now switch to the second window
      C-WW

      And resize it:
      C-W+

      Note that the first window will jump back to line 1

      Seen on Linux (Mint 17, 64 bit)

      Message 2 of 9 , May 25, 2014
        Ron Aaron wrote:

        > To repro the issue:
        >
        > gvim -u NONE somefile
        > :sp
        > 50G
        >
        > Now switch to the second window
        > C-WW
        >
        > And resize it:
        > C-W+
        >

        > Note that the first window will jump back to line 1
        >
        > Seen on Linux (Mint 17, 64 bit)

        I can reproduce it.

        --
        panic("Foooooooood fight!");
        -- In the kernel source aha1542.c, after detecting a bad segment list

      • Manuel Ortega
        Message 3 of 9 , May 25, 2014
          On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Bram Moolenaar <Bram@...> wrote:
          Ron Aaron wrote:
          > To repro the issue:
          >    gvim -u NONE somefile
          >    :sp
          >    50G
          >
          > Now switch to the second window
          >    C-WW
          >
          > And resize it:
          >    C-W+
          >

          > Note that the first window will jump back to line 1
          >
          > Seen on Linux (Mint 17, 64 bit)

          I can reproduce it.

          If it's of any help in locating the problem, I am unable to reproduce this in MacVim (in either its gui, or when using its embedded Vim in the console).  However, I am able to reproduce it on MacOSX using a clone of Bram's source repo---but only when the "somefile" is more than 50 lines long.

          -Manny

        • Nobuhiro Takasaki
          Message 4 of 9 , May 25, 2014
            It is my mistake.
            The previous patch was too short.
            When I repeat the failure, I lose confidence.
            I note further in the future.

            --------
            Thanks.
            Nobuhiro Takasaki

            Message 5 of 9 , May 25, 2014
              Nobuhiro Takasaki wrote:

              > It is my mistake.
              > The previous patch was too short.
              > When I repeat the failure, I lose confidence.
              > I note further in the future.

              Thanks for the quick reply!

              Perhaps we should have a test for these fixes.

              204. You're being audited because you mailed your tax return to the IRC.

            • Nobuhiro Takasaki
              Message 6 of 9 , May 26, 2014
                It is a test that is an error in the patch before.
                It does not result in an error in the patch after.
                The correctness of meaning, there is no confidence.

                If there is a better way, that would be better.

                --------
                Thanks.
                Nobuhiro Takasaki

                Message 7 of 9 , May 28, 2014
                  Nobuhiro Takasaki wrote:

                  > It is a test that is an error in the patch before.
                  > It does not result in an error in the patch after.
                  > The correctness of meaning, there is no confidence.
                  >
                  > If there is a better way, that would be better.

                  It appears the patch fixes the reported problem, but the test still
                  fails. Problem is that the test depends on the terminal height.

                  --
                  From the classified section of a city newspaper:
                  Dog for sale: eats anything and is fond of children.

                • h_east
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 28, 2014
                    Hi Bram and Nobuhiro,

                    2014/05/28(Wed) 20:42:17 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar:
                    > Nobuhiro Takasaki wrote:
                    >

                    > > It is a test that is an error in the patch before.
                    >
                    > > It does not result in an error in the patch after.
                    >
                    > > The correctness of meaning, there is no confidence.
                    >

                    > > If there is a better way, that would be better.
                    >

                    > It appears the patch fixes the reported problem, but the test still
                    >
                    > fails. Problem is that the test depends on the terminal height.

                    I create a new test107.
                    Please check this.

                    Hirohito Higashi

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 29, 2014
                      Hirohito Higashi wrote:

                      > Hi Bram and Nobuhiro,
                      >
                      > 2014/05/28(Wed) 20:42:17 UTC+9 Bram Moolenaar:
                      > > Nobuhiro Takasaki wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > It is a test that is an error in the patch before.
                      > >
                      > > > It does not result in an error in the patch after.
                      > >
                      > > > The correctness of meaning, there is no confidence.
                      > >

                      > > > If there is a better way, that would be better.
                      > >

                      > > It appears the patch fixes the reported problem, but the test still
                      > >
                      > > fails. Problem is that the test depends on the terminal height.
                      >
                      > I create a new test107.
                      > Please check this.

                      Thanks! I verified it fails before patch 7.4.309 and passes after it.

                      I know it can be difficult to write tests like this.

                      228. You spend Saturday night making the counter on your home page
                      pass that 2000 mark.