MacVim builds against a custom Python Framework, but eventually the default Python.Framework is what gets linked?!

  • Muhittin Bilginer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 22 3:13 PM
      Hi,
      I have been desperately trying to build MacVim against a custom Python framework with no luck so far. I have tried many things, at the end MacVim builds with no errors, but when I check the linking of the final binary, it always lists as being linked against the default OSX Python.Framework, which is not something that I want.

      Here is my stack overflow post:
      https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23817871/macvim-does-not-build-against-a-custom-python-framework

      Could you please help me.

      Thanks.

    • Manuel Ortega
      Message 2 of 4 , May 22 5:12 PM
        On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Muhittin Bilginer <muhittin.bilginer@...> wrote:
        Hi,
        I have been desperately trying to build MacVim against a custom Python framework with no luck so far. I have tried many things, at the end MacVim builds with no errors, but when I check the linking of the final binary, it always lists as being linked against the default OSX Python.Framework, which is not something that I want.

        Here is my stack overflow post:
        https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23817871/macvim-does-not-build-against-a-custom-python-framework

        This is a known issue with MacVim, and if you look in the vim_mac mailing list (which, by the way, is the appropriate place to report bugs in MacVim in the future), you will find that the maintainer refuses to fix it.  (In his defense, he is happy to incorporate a fix if someone else will do the work, and nobody has taken him up on it).

        Perhaps you should look at Homebrew's formula for MacVim, or even just install MacVim via Homebrew; if memory serves, they've found a way around this.

        -Manny

      • Muhittin Bilginer
        Message 3 of 4 , May 23 12:55 AM
          Hi,

          Apologies for posting here and thank you very much for the information. One final question, is there a documentation available some where explaining how we can patch the process ourselves?

          The problem for me is, that I have a custom Python2.7 and I have compiled that from source. I am not using home-brew or port. So it is a bit difficult for me to un-hook it. Every time I build YouCompleteMe, it builds against my custom Python and this discrepancy crashes my MacVim.

          I know that this is a MacVim-dev group and has nothing to do with YouCompleteMe, but an alternative solution for me would be to stay with what I get when I compile MacVim, but then force YouCompleteMe to compile against the same Python that MacVim is compiled against. Could you please help me with this? Any information will be at a great help.

          Thanks and Regards.

          On Friday, May 23, 2014 1:12:13 AM UTC+1, Manuel Ortega wrote:
          > On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Muhittin Bilginer <muhittin...@...> wrote:
          >

          > Hi,
          >
          > I have been desperately trying to build MacVim against a custom Python framework with no luck so far. I have tried many things, at the end MacVim builds with no errors, but when I check the linking of the final binary, it always lists as being linked against the default OSX Python.Framework, which is not something that I want.
          >

          > Here is my stack overflow post:
          >
          > https://stackoverflow.com/questions/23817871/macvim-does-not-build-against-a-custom-python-framework
          >

          > This is a known issue with MacVim, and if you look in the vim_mac mailing list (which, by the way, is the appropriate place to report bugs in MacVim in the future), you will find that the maintainer refuses to fix it.  (In his defense, he is happy to incorporate a fix if someone else will do the work, and nobody has taken him up on it).
          >

          > Perhaps you should look at Homebrew's formula for MacVim, or even just install MacVim via Homebrew; if memory serves, they've found a way around this.
          >

          > -Manny

        • Manuel Ortega
          Message 4 of 4 , May 23 8:01 AM
            On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Muhittin Bilginer <muhittin.bilginer@...> wrote:
            Hi,

            Apologies for posting here and thank you very much for the information. One final question, is there a documentation available some where explaining how we can patch the process ourselves?

            The problem for me is, that I have a custom Python2.7 and I have compiled that from source. I am not using home-brew or port. So it is a bit difficult for me to un-hook it.

            I would look at the MacVim Homebrew formula:

            to see if you can adapt what they do to your own case.  They are, if memory serves, managing to link MacVim to a *brewed* Python (not in a standard location).  Perhaps those lines where they pass -L and -F flags can be tweaked to include a path appropriate to your case.  There are also a couple of alterations to config.h later down in the formula.

            -Manny