Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

[count]tabfind doesn't work properly

Expand Messages
  • Cesar Romani
    I m using vim 7.3.264 on Windows 7. [count]find file works fine. If I do, for example :2find file it finds the correct version of file, and if I do :3find
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 24, 2014
    • 0 Attachment
      I'm using vim 7.3.264 on Windows 7.

      '[count]find file' works fine. If I do, for example ':2find file'
      it finds the correct version of file, and if I do ':3find file' it
      outputs the message 'E347: No more file "file" found in path' what it is
      correct and expected, but with '[count]tabfind' it doesn't work.

      If I do for example ':14tabf file' it always finds the first version of
      file all over again.
      It used to work with older vim versions.


      Many thanks in advance,

      --
      Cesar

      --
      --
      You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
      Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
      For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

      ---
      You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_dev" group.
      To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_dev+unsubscribe@....
      For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
    • Ben Fritz
      ... Did you actually mean 7.4.264 rather than 7.3, or are you actually using a 3-year-old version? A quick test in 7.4.256 seems to work. -- -- You received
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 24, 2014
      • 0 Attachment
        On Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:23:51 AM UTC-5, Cesar wrote:
        > I'm using vim 7.3.264 on Windows 7.
        >
        > ...
        >
        > If I do for example ':14tabf file' it always finds the first version...
        >
        > It used to work with older vim versions.

        Did you actually mean 7.4.264 rather than 7.3, or are you actually using a 3-year-old version?

        A quick test in 7.4.256 seems to work.

        --
        --
        You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
        Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
        For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

        ---
        You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_dev" group.
        To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_dev+unsubscribe@....
        For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
      • Cesar Romani
        ... Sorry, I actually mean 7.4.264. -- -- You received this message from the vim_dev maillist. Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 24, 2014
        • 0 Attachment
          On 24/04/2014 10:46 a.m., Ben Fritz wrote:
          > On Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:23:51 AM UTC-5, Cesar wrote:
          >> I'm using vim 7.3.264 on Windows 7.
          >>
          >> ...
          >>
          >> If I do for example ':14tabf file' it always finds the first version...
          >>
          >> It used to work with older vim versions.
          >
          > Did you actually mean 7.4.264 rather than 7.3, or are you actually
          > using a 3-year-old version?
          >
          > A quick test in 7.4.256 seems to work.

          Sorry, I actually mean 7.4.264.

          --
          --
          You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
          Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
          For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

          ---
          You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_dev" group.
          To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_dev+unsubscribe@....
          For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
        • Cesar Romani
          ... I meant 7.4.264. Suppose you have a plugin called foobar. What happens if you do :tabf foobar and :15tabf foobar If you don t have another foobar on the
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014
          • 0 Attachment
            On 24/04/2014 10:46 a.m., Ben Fritz wrote:
            > On Thursday, April 24, 2014 10:23:51 AM UTC-5, Cesar wrote:
            >> I'm using vim 7.3.264 on Windows 7.
            >>
            >> ...
            >>
            >> If I do for example ':14tabf file' it always finds the first version...
            >>
            >> It used to work with older vim versions.
            >
            > Did you actually mean 7.4.264 rather than 7.3, or are you actually
            > using a 3-year-old version?
            >
            > A quick test in 7.4.256 seems to work.

            I meant 7.4.264. Suppose you have a plugin called foobar. What happens
            if you do :tabf foobar and :15tabf foobar
            If you don't have another foobar on the 15th entry of your path, then
            you should get an error message.

            --
            --
            You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
            Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
            For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

            ---
            You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_dev" group.
            To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_dev+unsubscribe@....
            For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
          • Christian Brabandt
            Hi Cesar! ... If I read the help for :tabfind and :tab correctly, this works as expected (e.g. the count is only for specifying after which tab the new tab
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014
            • 0 Attachment
              Hi Cesar!

              On Do, 24 Apr 2014, Cesar Romani wrote:

              > I'm using vim 7.3.264 on Windows 7.
              >
              > '[count]find file' works fine. If I do, for example ':2find file'
              > it finds the correct version of file, and if I do ':3find file' it
              > outputs the message 'E347: No more file "file" found in path' what it is
              > correct and expected, but with '[count]tabfind' it doesn't work.
              >
              > If I do for example ':14tabf file' it always finds the first version of
              > file all over again.
              > It used to work with older vim versions.

              If I read the help for :tabfind and :tab correctly, this works as
              expected (e.g. the count is only for specifying after which tab the new
              tab will be opened). I am not saying that this is actually useful, it's
              just documented.

              Best,
              Christian
              --
              Hartnäckige Übellaunigkeit ist ein allzu klares Symptom dafür, daß
              ein Mensch gegen seine Bestimmung lebt.
              -- José Ortega y Gasset

              --
              --
              You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
              Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
              For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

              ---
              You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_dev" group.
              To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_dev+unsubscribe@....
              For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
            • Cesar Romani
              ... You are right. I got confused by :[count]find {file} I thought one could do :[count]tabfind {file} to get the same result as by :find How can I find
              Message 6 of 7 , May 5, 2014
              • 0 Attachment
                On 28/04/2014 04:19 p.m., Christian Brabandt wrote:
                > Hi Cesar!
                >
                > On Do, 24 Apr 2014, Cesar Romani wrote:
                >
                >> I'm using vim 7.3.264 on Windows 7.
                >>
                >> '[count]find file' works fine. If I do, for example ':2find file'
                >> it finds the correct version of file, and if I do ':3find file' it
                >> outputs the message 'E347: No more file "file" found in path' what it is
                >> correct and expected, but with '[count]tabfind' it doesn't work.
                >>
                >> If I do for example ':14tabf file' it always finds the first version of
                >> file all over again.
                >> It used to work with older vim versions.
                >
                > If I read the help for :tabfind and :tab correctly, this works as
                > expected (e.g. the count is only for specifying after which tab the new
                > tab will be opened). I am not saying that this is actually useful, it's
                > just documented.

                You are right. I got confused by ':[count]find {file}'
                I thought one could do ':[count]tabfind {file}' to get the same result
                as by :find
                How can I find version of '{file}' using ':[count]tabfind {file}'?
                I tried to do ':tab [count]find {file}' but it doesn't work.


                Best regards,

                --
                Cesar

                --
                --
                You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                ---
                You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_dev" group.
                To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_dev+unsubscribe@....
                For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
              • Ben Fritz
                ... A different option is available since you are using Vim 7.3 or higher. :find now supports tab-completion of file names. ... and then hit repeatedly
                Message 7 of 7 , May 6, 2014
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Monday, May 5, 2014 7:44:30 AM UTC-5, Cesar wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  > You are right. I got confused by ':[count]find {file}'
                  >
                  > I thought one could do ':[count]tabfind {file}' to get the same result
                  >
                  > as by :find
                  >
                  > How can I find version of '{file}' using ':[count]tabfind {file}'?
                  >
                  > I tried to do ':tab [count]find {file}' but it doesn't work.
                  >

                  I think, if you want the behavior exactly, you will need to:

                  :tabnew | [count]find {file}

                  A different option is available since you are using Vim 7.3 or higher. :find now supports tab-completion of file names.

                  So, especially with 'wildmenu' set, you can do:

                  :tabfind fi<Tab>

                  and then hit <Tab> repeatedly to select the specific file you want from your path search.

                  --
                  --
                  You received this message from the "vim_dev" maillist.
                  Do not top-post! Type your reply below the text you are replying to.
                  For more information, visit http://www.vim.org/maillist.php

                  ---
                  You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "vim_dev" group.
                  To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to vim_dev+unsubscribe@....
                  For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.